Daytime vs nighttime cardio

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The possible reason for the perception might be that, during a workout, you are likely to lose water and stored glycogen. While those levels should be restored as part of recovery, the process is not instantaneous. It's plausible that, if one did a workout late at night and weighed first thing in the morning, there might be a difference in scale weight vs a day that one worked out early and so was farther along in the recovery process. Any differences, however, would be due to timing and would not represent actual "weight" loss.

That explanation includes a lot of "ifs" and speculation, but it is one possibility. Ultimately, as others have said, workout timing has no independent effect on weight loss.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I usually do both because I enjoy it and I'm super sedentary during the work day and outside of exercise/activity.

Loving how it makes me feel and it helps me to maintain my weight.

I started off working out in the early morning just to get it over with. Now I look forward to it.

There are too many factors for me to say if there was a difference in timing. Had I ate a meal higher in sodium? TOM? etc. etc. I just watched my calories, stayed active, had a lot of patience and stay consistent and the weight came off.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    A brisk walk in the morning on the empty stomach will do more than same walk in evening

I don't think that is true. What source in the form of a broad based peer reviewed study do you have that would prove that? Generally speaking, exercise and nutrient timing is irrelevant except for preference and perceived performance. Where do you find anything that proved differently?
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This in not about cals burned. Think about hormonal make up working in your body. if you heard about insuline in the blood, it will never let fatty acids comes out from fat cells only in opposite direction. Perceived performance is irrelevant too. Person may feel really hard working, but fat burn is zerro. The simple answer, the insuline in the blood don't let to reliese even 1 gram of fat.

Cardio doesn't burn fat. A calorie deficit does. It doesn't matter when you work out. It matters how many calories you eat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This in not about cals burned. Think about hormonal make up working in your body. if you heard about insuline in the blood, it will never let fatty acids comes out from fat cells only in opposite direction. Perceived performance is irrelevant too. Person may feel really hard working, but fat burn is zerro. The simple answer, the insuline in the blood don't let to reliese even 1 gram of fat.

So the scientific study that demonstrates any of this is........???

Honestly, this sounds like a bunch of pseudo-science to me.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Actually, cardio does burn fat... More overweight, more cal burn. But slim person really has so few cal burn that it should not be counted. So only one hope... on hormones. They will activate fat reliese. Just, please, don't forget keep insuline at zerro

What does this even mean?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You are actualy rite. When people are grossly overweight it will be a great move just start walking any time of the day. We want to know how to make those 10 extra lb to go, or overcome plato. Nighte walk is good too. But best results can be achieved after about 4 hrs of not eating. If person asks how to reach her weight lost goal quicker, why not to mention hormonal differences which works more efficient?...

Read the article you referenced properly. You. Are. Wrong.

Quoting it again for you: "But for folks who aren’t that lean yet, the folks in the middle range of body fat levels, it really doesn’t matter.

And the OP said absolutely noting about losing the last 10lb or getting over a plateau.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    Actually, cardio does burn fat... More overweight, more cal burn. But slim person really has so few cal burn that it should not be counted. So only one hope... on hormones. They will activate fat reliese. Just, please, don't forget keep insuline at zerro
    No it doesn't. It burns calories. How much fat is burned if someone eats their TDEE while doing cardio? How much fat is burned when someone eats in deficit and does no cardio?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png