PIlates for toning

Options
I've lost 30 pounds in six months, mostly through diet and SOME cardio. Needless to say, I've become the dreaded skinny fat (well maybe not SKINNY, but you know what I mean.) I look pretty okay if clothing is covering up everything, but I am still REALLY flabby. I can pinch fat (and not just a little) everywhere on my body. I'm pretty much a smaller and squishier version of my overweight 163 pound self. I know what the next step is: toning! WEIGHTS..

In the last year and a half I've been in two car accidents and taken a nasty fall, all of which left me with whiplash, upper back injuries, and concussions. Having the neck trauma has put stress on other parts of my body when they try to overcompensate, and for some unknown reason I refuse to heal. Strength training just hurts every part of me in ways that I know aren't just the burn of exercise. My chiropractor said that pilates is a good alternative to strength training.

So does anyone know how well the results might be from pilates as opposed to strength training for both muscle gain and fat loss?
One last thing: I know that for losing weight you need to decrease calories. Now that I'm at my goal weight and will be doing more exercise, should I increase my calories to maintenance? I still want to lose fat, but I also need to gain muscle and I honestly no longer care at all what my weight is, it doesn't mean too much.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Give pilates a try if you think it will help you train around your injuries. Best case is it works for you. Worst case is you don't enjoy it and find something else. Another option is finding a pt that is experienced in rehabbing injured clients.

If you still have fat to lose I wouldn't recommend increasing your calories and you may want to reevaluate your goal weight
  • ohtheveganity
    ohtheveganity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I did pilates for several years and it helped me tone up before, during and after my 2 pregnancies. I started out with mat pilates but moved onto reformer after about a year. If you plan on doing mat pilates on your home by DVD, I would advise at least taking 5-6 classes so you can make sure your form is correct and you learn the basics. I haven't done pilates in about 2 yrs since I started Bar Method which I definitely prefer over pilates.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Pilates can help you tone up, but what you should keep in mind is pilates is using body weight for resistance. To gain muscle resistance is required - the more resistance, the faster you gain muscle. When you weight lift, obviously you have much more resistance than when you are just working against your own body. Your body provides some resistance, yes, so you will see some results, but nothing compared to what you would if you were lifting weights. Since you are essentially starting from no resistance, pilates will show results. Pilates may be a good way for you to stay in shape while your injuries heal, but eventually you will want to switch to something more challenging (something with more resistance) for long term results.

As far as your chronic injuries go, try experimenting with eating different types of foods. Some foods can cause inflammation making you stay injured for longer. If you want more information on this, try reading "It Starts with Food."
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I have been doing only Pilates for my strength training (I know I can hear people gasping at my lack of weight usage), but it has actually done AMAZING things for my abs and thighs and my ARMS of all things. I'm seeing definition, a decrease in fat % and generally a better-shaped body. I enjoy it too so I'm more likely to stick to it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I have been doing only Pilates for my strength training (I know I can hear people gasping at my lack of weight usage), but it has actually done AMAZING things for my abs and thighs and my ARMS of all things. I'm seeing definition, a decrease in fat % and generally a better-shaped body. I enjoy it too so I'm more likely to stick to it.

Um, no, that is not how it works. You HAVE to lift weights to see gains. The changes you are seeing are an illusion, your body is tricking you.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Um, no, that is not how it works. You HAVE to lift weights to see gains. The changes you are seeing are an illusion, your body is tricking you.

I don't think I have ever used bull*&^% on the internet but I am going to here. I have seen a huge improvement in my body and my muscle tone as well since I started Pilates 4 months ago. And by the way, how dare you tell her that what she is seeing is an illusion. You aren't there to verify that and if she sees a difference, then there is a difference. Give me a break.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I don't think I have ever used bull*&^% on the internet but I am going to here. I have seen a huge improvement in my body and my muscle tone as well since I started Pilates 4 months ago. And by the way, how dare you tell her that what she is seeing is an illusion. You aren't there to verify that and if she sees a difference, then there is a difference. Give me a break.

25409469.jpg
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Pilates reformer for about 6 weeks now. I'm coming off of a hurt shoulder. I love Pilates. If there is an exercise that I can't do the instructors are quick to show me a modified version that I can do. I always leave feeling like I worked out. I think it's a good option for someone like you. Worse case you don't like it and try something else.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I love pilates. I did a few mat classes. I found it hard on my neck and when I was really skinny hard on my spine ( I needed three mats) you can't hurt to try. You will know if you are not feeling it, or it feels unsafe. Anyone who tells you it isn't as good as lifting is crazy. Pilates burns and will have you finding muscles you didn't know you had. And it was modelled on rehab for bedridden patients, ( based on exercises baby's use to get ready to walk I think from what the teacher told me...) so it may be exactly what you need. All other moves grew out of those basic moves. I love them. I wish their was a class near me when I wasn't working!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

25409469.jpg

LoL's.

I did note the sarcasm. :)

I just don't enjoy weights. I did honestly try them for a month or so and because I didn't enjoy it, I didn't stick with it after that.

However, Pilates is something I truly enjoy so I've been able to stay with it longer and I'm more consistent-which is probably why I'm seeing changes (finally)