What's healthier - wholemeal roles or wholegrain rice?

Options
Hi all -

As part of a slightly refined diet away from junk food I have started to eat wholegrain rice regularly instead of a sandwich or filled bread roll every day for lunch. Tesco in the UK do a nice range of micro rice with so called ' superfoods ' in them.

My question is - which is the better / healthier choice, wholemeal bread rolls OR microwave wholegrain rice like this (see below)

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292808825

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/259070148

I tend to normally have two bread rolls or a whole pack of that rice with maybe tuna or chicken for lunch.

Judging by just nutritional values on packets - the rice is allot lower in salt and less processed?

I'm just trying to eat something a little different too just bread for lunch everyday! What do you think?

Replies

• EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet would probably have both in them but probably not at the same time.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There has been recent research showing that the less finely milled fiber is better at doing its thing. In other words, big chunks like brown rice or whole grain berries are marginally better for intestinal health than whole grain flours.

BUT

There's been more research on this for animals than for humans. This is particularly important for feeding cattle and other livestock where they study how much the grinding of feed affects nutrient and calorie absorption for building more meat.

There are some human studies that show that finely ground fiber in such things as whole wheat flour can increase constipation whereas coarsely ground and whole grains encourage bowel action. It also depends on the grain. Wheat binds more water when in big particles, oats bind more water in smaller particles. Very little fiber is available in whole flax seed whereas it is good for fiber when ground.

So, all in all, it's complicated. You are probably best off eating a variety of grain foods in all forms from whole to finely ground ... at least until the science is settled.

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Neither one is healthy or unhealthy by itself. You have to look at your entire diet.

This. One or two foods in isolation doesn't mean anything. Instead look at how they're fitting in with what else you're eating-how do they fit into your calorie goals/macros targets, does one keep you feeling full for longer vs the other one, do you enjoy on more than the other etc.