Subtracting fiber grams from total net carbs?

Options
Jancandoit7
Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone subtract fiber grams from total net carbs? At one time (not now) I followed the Atkins diet and was told to do this- I eat pretty high fiber so it does make a difference in carb grams per day! OK- I just read that this is right- BUT only for "insoluble" fiber because it does not break down the same way as soluble fiber- good to know!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I watch fiber and when I did keto for a while (I might try it again in the winter) I focused on net carbs to see if I should be in ketosis. For a higher carb level I wouldn't bother, but I do make sure my fiber is around 30 g or more, ideally. (In many other countries labels for carbs already don't include fiber, but in the US and Canada they do.)
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I never paid any attention to my fibre intake. Seems too complicated - not worth it. Nothing bad has happened yet :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    https://foodfastfit.com/myfitnesspal-x-foodfastfit/#/howdy You have to be willing to install a free app, but it will display your net carbs and a colorful pie chart of your macros.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks! - very helpful responses