My personal advice and experience with phentermine

Options
jasummers76
jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
I will start by saying there are no miracle diet pills on the market or by prescription. Even the research I have done about gastric bypass surgery showed many gain a significant amount of the weight back after five years.

My first time on Phentermine was in my early twenties, I weighed maybe 225 pounds at five foot ten. Took them for a two months lost around 40 to 45 pounds. When I got off, I did not change my eating habits and gained it all back plus 25. Over the course of the next 15 years I yo-yo dieted from fatburners to detox's you name it I bought it. I got married in 2004 and was about 250. About two years after I had a mental breakdown and was diagnosed with bipolar 2 and social anxiety disorder. I tried many meds and different dr's. One Dr put me on the drug zyprexa. The warnings for the drug included exterem weight gain and possible diabetes. None of which my doctor monitored. Over the next six months I gained 100 pounds, and was diagnosed with diabetes 2. Finally after many dr's I am with a ethical one who is not a pill Pusher. Once I had addressed my mental well being it was time to address my health. Three years ago I started around 350, and began to watch what I ate and lost between 30 and 40 pounds without exercise. With the meds I am on after a ten hour work day I am usually pretty wiped out. So two years ago or so I asked my medical and mental health Dr about taking phentermine for a few months to help me not just lose.weight but learn what to eat which being a diabetic often differs from others. I took it for two months had a calorie intake of around 1500 and lost some weight and learned and embrassed a new lifestyle. I only found this community a week or so ago and the food diary is a blessing. It has so many foods in its database it makes being accountable for the food you eat so much easier. The phentermine can help while adjusting your diet, learning what a portion size actually looks like. I am not on it anymore and with the tools I have gained through certain Instagram members and my nutrionist I am still losing. I am currently 271 MFP has me on a 1730 Cal a day program to lose two pounds a week. I eat a lot of fish, cottage chesse, shrimp, turkey, chicken breasts and a few salads a week. While my family of six could stand to eat healthier, as you know you can not force it on someone. They order fast food or take out maybe twice a week. I will usually indulge and have a piece or two of pizza depending on the size of it. Taco Bell I get one soft shell taco. I will steal a fry or mottza stick when they are around and for me I have found that by doing this it helps me keep my past binges which usually lead to months of unhealthy eating at bay. The point I am trying to make in this long boring post. Diet pills are a aid just as gastric surgery is, both can make you lose a lot of weight. But keeping it off is what your true goal is. I know I am being a little restrictive on my current types of food. But with the help of this site, nutrionist, and so forth it is expanding. Big shout out to Hall Top ice cream. Had a serving last night for my sweet tooth and it was a delight.

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thank you for a nice post. That's about how I feel about diet pills: if you decide to use them, with the supervision of your doctor, they are a helpful tool to control your appetite while you learn to eat healthier and adopt a better lifestyle.

I do not think many of the posters I've read opinions from on these boards agree with that.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yeah I gathered that after reading a lot on these boards. I personally feel over the counter diet pills are a waste and do not work, just my experience. But prescription and gastric bypass if used correctly and not abused can really be helpful to a person who is committed to real lifestyle changes. For me they curbed my appetite while eating probably a third of what I had been. I will also say the amount of weight lost in the months taken can really be a encouragement for some. They just need to realize once off even with better food choices they more than likely will not lose at the rate while on.