Fasted Cardio

Options
What do you all think about fasted cardio? Or do you all think you should ALWAYS eat something pre workout? I usually wake up and try to go directly to the gym around 5am/6am, then I eat breakfast around 7am/8am.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have a pre-workout supplement, but usually don't actually eat breakfast until 2hrs post workout.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat before a work out. I work out about 5am every (weekday) morning.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have done all my cardio for years first thing in the AM and no food. Including up to 15 miles in training runs. Over 15 miles I take in gu carbs but have never ate before a run, ride, HIIT. It works for me, my body is used to it and I'm trained to do it. I think the first few weeks may be hard for some, but you can really focus on your workouts in pushing through.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Personal choice. At the end of the day, if you're in a calorie deficit you will be in a position to lose weight
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio is fine, but BCAAs are helpful for fasted cardio to retain muscle and prevent muscle breakdown. Just a thought.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Most days I get out of bed and do my cardio. I am usually hungry after exercise regardless if I eat before or after. I save on the calories when I do not eat before a workout. I do not get any benefit from eating before a workout. I have gone on a 1/2 marathon run without eating anything before and I felt great. Before a race would be a different story. It is your preference.
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    I have done all my cardio for years first thing in the AM and no food. Including up to 15 miles in training runs. Over 15 miles I take in gu carbs but have never ate before a run, ride, HIIT. It works for me, my body is used to it and I'm trained to do it. I think the first few weeks may be hard for some, but you can really focus on your workouts in pushing through.

same here, like all schedules your body will need to adapt. You can also have something light like a banana or apple preworkout etc