Help! How to design a workout program?

Hi! I'm still trying to find a work out routine that will work for me and motivate me!

In the past, I've usually done the fancy boutique classes, like Pure Barre. I loved Pure Barre and other barre classes, but now I don't live or work by any.

I'm currently paying loads of money for Orangetheory Fitness, but I just don't super like the class. I feel like I could do a similar workout if I went to a gym, which would be way more cost efficient.

How do you all prefer to work out? How do you design your work outs? And any tips of how to learn how to use all the machines correctly without attracting attention by all the senior gym goers?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Well, I work out at home. For cardio, I have a glider and I take long (2hr) walks when the weather and my free time allow. For strength training, I bought a book: Strength Training Exercises for Women by Joan Pagano. It's got a bunch of exercises for each major muscle/muscle group. Each exercise has three levels. Then, at the back are three full-body workouts of progressive difficulty. I'm working my way through those.

Eventually, I will need to do some research on how to increase, because the book doesn't go above 12lb dumbbells. For right now, though, I'm using the book and I'll worry about how to take things to the next level when I master Level 3 of the hardest workout.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Focus on finding something you like. If you think it is strenght training, or just want to give it a try, I would suggest finding a small-ish gym, and making sure the owner/staff are willing to show you how everything works and how to create a routine. If this is not an option, look for a trainer, at least for a few sessions.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    How do you all prefer to work out? How do you design your work outs?

It's based around my goals, abilities, and preferences, which are probably different than yours. I prefer going solo so i can go at my own pace, and i prefer freeweights over machines for functional strength. If you chose freeweights, follow a proven program (NROLFW, Stronglifts, personal trainer, etc).

And don't worry about others watching you, because most are either focused on themselves, or they're not as educated about exercise as you think they are. :+1: