Can one really lose weight without exercise???

Options
I don't believe it is possible for ME, at least, to lose weight without exercise. I am a 5'4" 62 y/o female who started MFP at 182 lbs and is now down to 142 lbs. I have about 10 lbs to go.

I have a Fitbit Charge 2. On the days I do not exercise, but take a "rest day" i.e. just go to work or do errands - I only burn 1200-1300 calories in a 24 period, according to the Fitbit. If the least amount of calories I can "reasonably and safely" take in in a day is 1200 - then I will obviously not lose weight unless I add exercise to my daily regiment, which I do.

So I have pretty much accepted the fact that I cannot expect to sit on my butt, eat 1200 calories a day and expect to lose weight, or even be able to sustain that lifestyle indefinitely. I must exercise most days to continue my weight loss, then maintain it.

Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something?

Replies

• susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I believe you can do it, it's simple math. The thing is that when you eat at a deficit your body burns more than fat, also muscle. Exercise is the only way to keep your muscle and tone up. And when you lose both fat and muscle you don't reduce your body fat percentage.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Have you set your stride length right in fitbit?

BMR would be around 1300, so eating at 1200 would still give you a deficit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started out at the same size as you and I lost my first thirty pounds on diet alone. The calories were pretty skimpy but it can be done.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Sedentary BMR would be around 1300, so eating at 1200 would still give you a deficit.

Yes, stride length is correct. However, the point I was attempting to make is: if sedentary BMR is around 1300 - it is correct that eating at 1200 calories/day would still give me a deficit - albeit a very tiny one. I don't believe I can eat at 1200-1300 calories/day every day for the rest of my life. So the kicker is - if I want to up my calories, even a bit, I MUST exercise.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Sedentary BMR would be around 1300, so eating at 1200 would still give you a deficit.

Yes, stride length is correct. However, the point I was attempting to make is: if sedentary BMR is around 1300 - it is correct that eating at 1200 calories/day would still give me a deficit - albeit a very tiny one. I don't believe I can eat at 1200-1300 calories/day every day for the rest of my life. So the kicker is - if I want to up my calories, even a bit, I MUST exercise.

BMR is what your body burns just by living. It doesn't incorporate the activity you do throughout your day, so the calories burned from Fitbit should be higher (provided you're wearing it 24/7).
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

But your TDEE would be higher than that, around 1400.

Any deficit is a deficit you just have to commit time wise.

It is obviously easier to stick to if you burn off more calories allowing you to eat more, but you don't have to and you CAN lose weight without exercise. Which was your question.
  • cbstewart88
    Options
    Malibu927 - I am wearing my Fitbit 24/7. Yesterday I took a "rest day." Did not exercise. My total calories burned was 1298 for the 24-hour period. I have been wearing it for 7 months - and this is typical. Is the Fitbit giving me erroneous information???
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Try the experiment of eating at a 250 calorie deficit for a month, neglect exercise, and see if you lose a couple of pounds. It has worked for people and the only thing standing in your way is your own willingness to eat at a small deficit.

I also exercise and eat more. I've not tried the experiment of eating at a small deficit for a month. Still, my paraplegic wheelchair-bound friend on here cannot exercise and has lost 200+ lb by learning to eat at a small deficit and being patient with the math. It'll work the same way for any of us if the math and the patience are together.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My resting daily calorie expenditure is 1650 calories. I'm 5' 4", female, fifty-something.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Is the Fitbit giving me erroneous information???

Possibly.

I've read articles that seem to indicate the Fitbit isn't necessarily the most accurate piece of equipment.

I'm 5'6" and my maintenance amount with no exercise seems to be about 1500 cal from experience (not Fitbit or anything else). You're not that much shorter than me, so I'd venture a guess your maintenance would likely be in the 1400-1500 cal range. Therefore, if we have days less than that ... we lose weight. :)

I can lose weight fairly comfortably on net 1350 cal and more quickly on net 1250 cal.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Is the Fitbit giving me erroneous information???

Possibly.

I've read articles that seem to indicate the Fitbit isn't necessarily the most accurate piece of equipment.

I'm 5'6" and my maintenance amount with no exercise seems to be about 1500 cal from experience (not Fitbit or anything else). You're not that much shorter than me, so I'd venture a guess your maintenance would likely be in the 1400-1500 cal range. Therefore, if we have days less than that ... we lose weight. :)

I can lose weight fairly comfortably on net 1350 cal and more quickly on net 1250 cal.

Mine over estimated the first month I had it until I got the walking inches and running inches set right. It's been almost spot on ever since. (2 years now)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. My conclusion is: thank heavens I like to work out. It makes all the Fitbit bro-ha-ha moot... :)

Ain't that the truth! Yesterday I finished my second kick-*kitten* cardio session and proceeded to bake brownies, which I had with ice cream, and then this morning logged a 3 lb loss.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. My conclusion is: thank heavens I like to work out. It makes all the Fitbit bro-ha-ha moot... :)

And able too
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you can exercise, why wouldn't you? Not just to be able to eat more, but because it makes you feel better, helps keep your heart healthier, maintains your muscle mass, and elevates your mood. Some people can't exercise, but if you can, there are a lot of good reasons to do it and few not to do it. If nothing else, those who successfully maintain weight loss over time usually exercise an hour or so a day. Having worked hard to lose the weight, don't you want to keep it off? That's a lot easier if you already have the exercise habit.
  • cbstewart88
    Options
    If you can exercise, why wouldn't you? Not just to be able to eat more, but because it makes you feel better, helps keep your heart healthier, maintains your muscle mass, and elevates your mood. Some people can't exercise, but if you can, there are a lot of good reasons to do it and few not to do it. If nothing else, those who successfully maintain weight loss over time usually exercise an hour or so a day. Having worked hard to lose the weight, don't you want to keep it off? That's a lot easier if you already have the exercise habit.

I agree 100% spiriteagle99. I exercise for all the above reasons, but primarily because it just makes me feel wonderful. :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Can one really lose weight without exercise???

Yes
  • roadkit
    roadkit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The question isn't could you, but why would you? There are so many more benefits to daily exercise than just losing/maintaining weight.
    Don't link your daily walk (or whatever activity you enjoy) to just losing weight. Enjoy being outside, enjoy how it makes you feel.
    Keeping your weight at a manageable level is just a positive byproduct.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    You don't have to increase "exercise" per se, but just your overall physical activity. More standing than sitting, park further away from destination, climb stairs instead of elevator, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png