Quit drinking alcohol, not losing weight

Options
124»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    NigelNi35 wrote: »
    Yes, you burn calories from sleeping but it wouldn't be anywhere near as much as lifting weights, jogging, shooting hoops, running on the threadmills, exercise bike, or other forms of exercising.

The vast majority of your daily calorie burn comes from simply existing.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here regarding weighing food, incremental calorie adjustment etc.

I just wanted to add - it has been a week. It's not like this is a change made months ago. If you are looking for that kind of instant gratification, you will have problems sticking with the changes needed to accomplish your goals. Weight loss/fitness is a marathon not a sprint. Temper your expectations less you burnout.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Honestly scales are not over the top. I will bet you money what you weigh in a cup will be way more than you think....so you "think" you are on 1200 but more than likely you are on 1500+
    packages are not allowed to weigh less than stated so to make sure they are not breaking the law they can and do add more to the pack sometimes 10-20% more than stated

Like I said, I lost over 50 pounds doing it the way you say is "incorrect". I don't need everything to be 100% as long as I'm getting around what I'm aiming for. Nothing is 100% either way. An egg for example may say it's 70 calories but it may really be 60 or 80. This is suppose to be a way of life and I won't be measuring every little thing I eat forever.

Btw I never said scales are over the top, I said measuring prepackaged foods is a bit extreme..obsessive imo.

But you aren't losing by guessing now.
    You asked for advice and a scale is what 99% of people here will tell you will get the best results but if you want to carry on assuming go right ahead but know if you carry on in a stall it will be you are not using a scale and eating more than you think

I AM using a scale but only for meat. Anything else I use measuring cups. It's only been a week plus I was basically eating at maintenance this past week. I was wondering why, even at maintenance I wasn't losing because while drinking I was averaging around 4000 calories a day, going from 4000 to 2000 should result in a loss.. but again it's only been a week and I am cutting my calories down starting today. But I will not measure prepackaged foods.. that's just silly to me.

I was eyeballing stuff out for awhile, but like I said previously I'm starting to measure again, just not to the extreme like you say.

This doesn't make sense. You won't lose at maintenance even if your calorie level was higher before you started reaching maintenance. You need to be at a deficit to lose weight.

I exercised 4 days last week so that would create a deficit.

Exercise is awesome and I totally put in treadmill time to help with a deficit, but you're likely overestimating your calories burned. It would take nearly 900 calories burned per session to get lose a pound in four workouts. For reference, I burn ~800 when I run for an hour at an average 11:20 pace at CW (180 lbs).

There's the old adage - you can't outrun a bad diet. Most of your fat loss comes down to what you eat.
    fiddletime wrote: »
    If you're eating at roughly maintenance, and exercising some, but you are not exactly sure how many exercise calories you have and if you're really eating at maintenance or a little over, you may be "stuck" successfully at maintenance.

It sounds like you were successful before with this system. The problem with jumping down to 1200, unless you're very petite and older, is that most people can lose weight at that, but then eat so much once they're "done" that they over eat and gain the weight back. I'd go to 1500 and take it a little slower. See how much you lose in a month and if it's sustainable, and adjust accordingly. (For me mfp put maintenance at 1340 so I set to 1200. Slow going... )

Yes that makes sense! I tend to take a cheat day on Sundays (thats what I've always done) I know a lot of people don't agree with cheat days but it's what works for me, and eating 1200-1300 the rest of the time. Ive tried many other ways, eating 1500 everyday of the week, with no cheat never worked. My body just works differently I guess who knows lol

Your body does not work differently than physics. You just haven't figured out what tracking method and accuracy is best for you, yet.