Stress

Options
Can stress have a negative impact on your workouts?

I've been under extreme stress for the last two weeks and have noticed my endurance and power have really dropped.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Try doing some deep breathing exercises to clear your mind before working out. Also when I find I'm busy listening to all the worry in my mind and not on my workout, a great playlist can help. It's also possible that easing the level of your workout is the best thing for you right now. Don't stop working, but maybe coasting for a week or two is something to consider too.

Sorry you are going through a rough time.
  • lica1509
    lica1509 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It seems that I have this problem right now. I stress a lot because of my job and I don't see much results in my weight loss. Any advice is appreciated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Yep. Stress still drains you, mostly mentally. Also affects your hormones overall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,315 Member
    Options
    lica1509 wrote: »
    It seems that I have this problem right now. I stress a lot because of my job and I don't see much results in my weight loss. Any advice is appreciated.

Stress won't prevent weight loss, at appropriate calories. Stress can involve some added water retention (when it increases), and cutting calories is another form of stress. But if you're at the right calorie level, you should expect to see some loss on average over a 4-6 week period (comparing weight at the same relative point in at least 2 different menstrual cycles if that applies).

By the way, this thread is from several years ago, and it doesn't pose the same question that you have. This one started about stress and workout performance, which is different from the effect of stress on weight loss. You'd probably get better replies if you posted your own thread, with your actual question summarized in the title. Your question would also probably get better response in the Health and Weight Loss part of the Community forum, since it isn't about fitness per se. That's here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

Best wishes!
  • pollygler
    pollygler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes it really can
  • Seansamz
    Seansamz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think stress will impact everything if it gets sever enough.

55enbelrfjw3.jpeg