What do I eat before my evening workout for weight loss

Hi Guys,

I´m trying to lose weight and I tried to eat before and after working out in the evening and I haven´t lose any weight like that in the past. What I´m doing now is to have a light dinner 1 hour before working out in the evening and then I literally go to bed because it´s too late. I usually go to the gym at 19 hrs or 20 hrs and I have to get up really early and I have my breakfast at 7.30 so I don´t see the point of eating too much later at night.

I make sure for breakfast I have oatmeal for example I always eat carbs and a good lunch but before heading to the gym I´m trying to eat chicken and a mix salad with hummus. I remember before I used to have an oatmeal before working out but my stomach sometimes felt heavier. I can have my dinner at work at 17 hrs and then exercise at 19 hrs.

What do I eat? I don´t think it´s a good idea to eat after as I´m going straight to bed and my aim is mainly to lose weight and then get tonned.

Thank you!

Replies

• bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    When you eat has very little effect on weightloss. Being in a calorie deficit is what causes weightloss. Are you counting calories?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Eat whatever you like that fits your nutritional goals without making you feel crappy while working out.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    For weight loss? Glass of water and a caffeine tablet.
  • latinadub
    latinadub Posts: 8
    So any ideas for eating before and after my evening workout?. After the workout I literally go straight to bed so I wonder if it´s better to don´t eat anything or just to eat a small handful of nuts. Do you have any examples of healhty snacks? I want to lose weight and get toned.
  • i_am_stuck
    i_am_stuck Posts: 11 Member
    Cottage cheese or greek yogurt are great late at night... the casien protein takes longer to absorb and can do its thing while you sleep.
  • I personally don't like to eat before I go to bed, when I work out until 8pm, I don't eat when I get home. I have read that it is better to go to bed a little hungry and your body will burn more fat, than burning what you just ate. I think that was from Jillian Micheals. I have been losing steadily following that.
  • Oops and ato answer your other question, I eat a healthy dinner (usually chicken and broccoli) about an hour before. I do Zumba and water aerobics and have never felt bad when exercising.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 437 Member
    -For breakfast today around 8:30 I had a package of regular instant oats mixed with chia, flax, blueberries, strawberries, almondmilk.
    -Worked out at 9:40. The oatmeal gave me lasting energy throughout my turbo fire 60 class
    -Then post workout I had a small container of nonfat coconut greek yogurt mixed with a little cocoa. Then a salad with 1 C of roasted chickpeas on the side.
  • Hi there- Before I work out,I eat a banana. After wards I have a protein shake. Typically I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey protein. Its low in sugar and calories. I mix mine with water simply because I am not a big milk drinker and I dont want the additional calories. The protein mixed with water is 120 calories, and 25g of protein. Depending on your weight, you should intake 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. For example if you weigh 130 you would eat roughly 130 grams of protein per day spread out into 6 small meals.

After your work out, try glutamine which you add to your shake post workout to help repair the muscle fiber's and tissue and to protect against injury. It also helps repair the stomach lining to help with absorbing nutrients from your food.

I eat every 2hrs, I try to stay at 1200 calories per day, but I believe that my trainer would prefer I ate 1500- its just really hard to do that!
    Here is my schedule:
    8am- 2 scrambled eggs whites, and a crumpet (80 calories)
    10am- a snack usually a greek yogurt (80 calories) and 1/2 cup Special K protein plus cereal
    12- 4oz of lunch meat or chicken (lean protein) spinach salad or veggies. If I eat lunch meat I wrap it in lettuce as a sandwich.
    2pm- yogurt again, or a cheese stick and some almonds(10-15)
    6pm- dinner- lean protein and veggies
    8pm- small snack LOW CARB- cottage cheese and cucumbers

I go to the gym at 4am so I sometimes eat around 6am for breakkie..otherwise I will eat at work. I dont eat much bread if any.
    Hope this helps!

Oh! You should also be taking a liquid multi-vitamin and an Omega 3-,6,9 it will help burn fat.
    I do 3 days per week 60 min cardio and the other 3 days I do 20 min cardio and the rest free weight work out focusing on each muscle group. I do 15 x 3 reps.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 437 Member
    So any ideas for eating before and after my evening workout?. After the workout I literally go straight to bed so I wonder if it´s better to don´t eat anything or just to eat a small handful of nuts. Do you have any examples of healhty snacks? I want to lose weight and get toned.
    Fats after a workout weather good or bad take longer to process and absorb by the body. After a workout your body need nutrients quick.
  • latinadub
    latinadub Posts: 8
    Oh no I wrote it wrong I meant after my workout, thanks so much for the tips! they are fantastic!