Fitness attire

Options
13»

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    There's a guy at my gym that I've nicknamed "The 11," 'cause he is legit an 11.

I have trouble focusing on the days he wears his clingy muscle shirt...I can ignore him on the days he wears a baggy t shirt. Does this make me a perv? or just human?

I wouldn't care one bit if stared at me if I was only wearing a sports bra...I never wear just a sports bra though.

It goes to 11? :wink:

He's so tall and muscular and lean...and has dark hair and a beard...

My gym friend calls him "The Greek God."

I didn't think 11s were real until I saw one! A sight to behold...
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    One time at the pool when I was doing laps a rugby team turned up. Not sure what's more distracting 15 well built athletes in Speedos or the waves they made in the pool... either way I did some kickboard laps.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lol, swimmer here, so in many respects I'm wearing less than the lady in shorts and sports bra.

If people check me out (pretty sure they don't at my current weight/condition) then they do so. Doesn't bother me. I don't check out other people, myself, too focused on getting my own business done.

Swimmer too. Roka jammer in the pool. Shorts and a t shirt in the weight room.
    Cracks me up when I see a 50 something guy wearing a barely there muscle shirt and tiny equivalent of women's volley ball shorts.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I am at the gym right now on the bike cooing down. I am in a red sports bra and black Capris . It has everything to do with thigh chaff for Capri and hot sweaty working as hard as I can for under armour sports bra . I am big busted so need high impact sports bra and I don't want the heat of an extra layer while running.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it inspiring to see other people showing off what they've worked hard to get (respectfully of course!).
    I think that we live in a society where showing off a little skin is shunned - often a lot of jealousy goes on I should think.

As a guy, I'm in a relationship that I'm extremely happy in - my partner wears the kind of clothes you speak of when she hits the gym and I don't mind people 'looking' respectfully. She works hard to keep where she wants to be and I'm in full support of the confidence that those clothes give!

My workout gear is extremely fitting - mostly heat/cool gear for running and often I get looks, as a guy. I don't see them as negative, I think that as many females look at males as the other way around - theres nothing wrong with a little confidence!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like looking good. I like seeing my skin and my muscles when I work out. No way I'm working out in a sports bra though. I'll do yoga in a sports bra because it feels so much better.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Let's be real. For a lot of people the main reason they work out, go to the gym, and dress in tight cloths is specifically because they want to be appreciated by other people.

weeeeeell . . . it's like bathing suits. you CAN buy one with 'appreciation' in mind if you feel like it, but no. fit alone does not mean what you're thinking it means. i wear stuff that fits me closely when i'm lifting for practical reasons. it doesn't get in the way, and it allows me to actually see what my own body's doing.

editing because i saw the rest of this theme: the mistake you made was conflating 'it's natural' into 'this is why they do it'. don't do that.

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    heck my wife and I work out in our basement, she won't even wear just a sport bra there. I think some it of it ahs to do with the Generation, the older, the less likely women will wear just a sports bra, and I am stating women Generation X and older. My Niece who is a millennial, she goes running and walks around in leggings and just a sport bra like it was nothing, I coached my daughters soccer team from when she was a tiny tot until the age of 19, as they got older the girls would wear sport bra's to soccer practice, I would make them put on a shirt. but they had no problem changing from regular shirts to Jersey's prior to games in their sport bra's, whenever they would do this I would turn around or cover my eyes and say something to them, because they would make me feel very uncomfortable and they would all laugh at me like it was nothing. But the younger women I would say 35 and younger are very comfortable wearing just sport bra's in public, my wife whom I wish would do it, of course never would.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I wore sports bra/crop top and bootie shorts for both outdoor PT (where the whole world could see me) and Zumba in the gym this morning and you know what the world didn't end and I felt so much cooler on what was (for the UK) a rather warm and humid morning. I may even brave a similar look for Insanity tonight, I'm not skinny and I have lots of loose skin, but why should I have to completely cover up and sweat crazy buckets?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym and I still always wear a shirt and pants to workout. I just don't feel comfortable in less clothes.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    We are human so we feel the same way a guy would. If it's a quick look while you walk by, that is fine. If you stare and won't look away, anyone would be uncomfortable with that. Women have the right to be comfortable in the gym. Why should we have to wear a million layers and be way too hot? Control yourself and treat women like other human beings and everyone will get along fine.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Sports bra and loose top and leggings for me. I have never noticed anyone checking me out. I have eyes, so I see other people, but I'm pretty far beyond "shopping" like that while I'm out and about. I can appreciate but it's not sexual.

I tried to run at home on my treadmill in just a sports bra one day when it was warm and it felt pretty chafey around the arms. The shirt soaks up the sweat, need that.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I wear soccer shorts, a sports bra and a tank top. Sometimes if the tanks gets too sweaty working my upper body and becomes clingy, I'll remove it. By the time I'm into my second set, I'm generally so focused that a heard of wildebeest could be roaming around and I probably wouldn't notice. I honestly don't care if someone stares at me or not.

They do make tanks from lightweight wicking fabric that doesn't get soggy and clingy. You can pick up one cheap at Goodwill or other thrift store. What do you do when your bra gets soggy & clingy?

My sports bra is always clingy.... Even when dry, they are kinda supposed to fit really snug to prevent a lot of movement. Now some of my tanks fit snug so they aren't a problem, it's the looser ones that I have issues with. I try to only wear the baggy ones on leg days where upper body ROM isn't an issue.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am a fat old guy and would never wear a tank top or go shirtless. I wear compression shirt and shorts and then wear a t-shirt and shorts over that. My gym is 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity most days. I understand that people might want to wear less because of comfort but for me I don't notice it. Too busy lifting.

The only time I take notice of others in gym is if they are doing something stupid, or they are lifting something impressive. Once again too busy with my own *kitten* to worry about yours.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Let's be real. For a lot of people the main reason they work out, go to the gym, and dress in tight cloths is specifically because they want to be appreciated by other people.

weeeeeell . . . it's like bathing suits. you CAN buy one with 'appreciation' in mind if you feel like it, but no. fit alone does not mean what you're thinking it means. i wear stuff that fits me closely when i'm lifting for practical reasons. it doesn't get in the way, and it allows me to actually see what my own body's doing.

editing because i saw the rest of this theme: the mistake you made was conflating 'it's natural' into 'this is why they do it'. don't do that.

Exactly! I wear tight fitting capris & tank tops when I workout. It has nothing to do with wanting other people to look at me. Form fitting clothes stay put better and are less distracting when I'm exercising.

I personally am not comfortable wearing just a sports bra, but I don't care if others do. I don't see a problem with discreetly checking someone out. Like others have said, just don't be creepy about it.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i saw a woman [not in the gym] recently who was wearing leggings and a solid idk, sports bra, crop top, tank, whatever it was.

point is, the rib band was about two inches deep and it said all the way round it LEAVE ME ALONE. *love*
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i saw a woman [not in the gym] recently who was wearing leggings and a solid idk, sports bra, crop top, tank, whatever it was.

point is, the rib band was about two inches deep and it said all the way round it LEAVE ME ALONE. *love*

My initial reaction to this was "awesome," shortly followed by, "That *kitten* sucks that she feels she needs to say that." :confused:
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »

My initial reaction to this was "awesome," shortly followed by, "That *kitten* sucks that she feels she needs to say that." :confused:

Yep, that's why 90% of women that work out alone wear headphones, even if they aren't listening to anything. It's a way of saying "I'm not listening to you, please leave me alone". And it does suck. Although at the gym I go to, one of the really big guys has a lil sister that works out as well, he really hates anyone messing with his baby sister.... He's now the unofficial "creeper" police, he will literally creep on the "creeper" guys in the same manner the creepy guys bother the ladies. It's funny as hell to see the horror on a jerks face! "Paybacks a B!"