Anyone doing the Therapeutic Lifestye Change diet for lowering cholesterol?

Options
I just found this diet online and have been doing some research on it. It looks pretty healthy and straight forward. I need to lower my cholesterol and I have 6 months to do it or go on statins. So far I have incorporated flax seed oil 2X a day which I read helps.

Replies

• jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to lower mine. I have tried two statins both had major affects on my liver and I had to stop. Couple things can help. Fiber lots of it. Niacin around 4 grams clear this with your doctor as I am doing at my upcoming appt. Lossing weight will allow your liver to better filter the fat. Also Omega 3 fatty acids. This may take longer than a month, I do not think laying off the statins for a few additional months will hurt you. The plaque build up did not happen overnight and will not go away overnight. Besides the Niacin I am putting these things into action and will be having my regular blood work done again in two months. I get it checked every three due to my diabetes and weight loss journey to make sure all things are running smoothly and seeing the numbers get better.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oatmeal for breakfast every day will keep you off statins
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Exercise, losing weight, and a low fat high fiber diet helped with mine.

I should repeat the importance of exercise.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,858 Member
    Options
    Are you normal weight or obese?

It has been the experience of many obese people that losing a substantial amount of weight results in a substantial reduction in blood cholesterol, regardless of the macros eaten during the weight loss process.

Moderate exercise (and walking definitely qualifies) also does help.