Hunger.....

2»

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    I'm on my bike for anywhere between 10-20min (depends on what I do that day) and walk my dog for anywhere between 12-15min, and aside from some bodyweight stuff (planks right now) that doesn't even amount to a minute, that's the amount of exercise I currently do. I am aiming to preserve as much muscle as I can. I don't know if that would be considered highly active or lightly active.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm on my bike for anywhere between 10-20min (depends on what I do that day) and walk my dog for anywhere between 12-15min, and aside from some bodyweight stuff (planks right now) that doesn't even amount to a minute, that's the amount of exercise I currently do. I am aiming to preserve as much muscle as I can. I don't know if that would be considered highly active or lightly active.

That would be lightly active depending on your non-exercise activity and the second recommendation would fit you just fine.
  • MichelleSilverleaf

That would be lightly active depending on your non-exercise activity and the second recommendation would fit you just fine.

Gotcha, thank you so much for explaining all of that :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2017
    1.2g of protein per body weight seems like an ungodly amount for the average person. I'd love to know the science that supports someone at 200lb eating 240g of protein a day. I average 60g a day at 240, where the heck would I ever fit in another 200g on top of that? I feel sick thinking about it.

240 seems too high but 60g is likely too low - my rule of thumb - .8g per the goal body weight - so If your goal is 150lbs, then 120g protein would be good

Still sounds like a lot...

It's really not a lot. I had 60g of protein just in my lunch yesterday.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    1.2g of protein per body weight seems like an ungodly amount for the average person. I'd love to know the science that supports someone at 200lb eating 240g of protein a day. I average 60g a day at 240, where the heck would I ever fit in another 200g on top of that? I feel sick thinking about it.

240 seems too high but 60g is likely too low - my rule of thumb - .8g per the goal body weight - so If your goal is 150lbs, then 120g protein would be good

Easy for you when you like protein things :(

I have to pay very careful attention and supplement with powder sometimes to reach the 80-90 I'm aiming for. If I do 140 or higher my entire calorie allowance would be spent on beans and nothing else, and my allowance is pretty high. I imagine if I were to go for lower calories I would be drinking protein shakes 2-3 times a day.
  • MichelleSilverleaf

What did you have? (Serious question, if my protein needs to go up I'd prefer to do it as much as possible with food :smile: )
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

What did you have? (Serious question, if my protein needs to go up I'd prefer to do it as much as possible with food :smile: )

My diary is open if you want to check it out. That lunch was yogurt, chocolate peanut butter protein powder, peanut butter and Almond milk. Tonight (Tuesday, I'm in Australia) I'm having chicken/veggie/rice stir fry which contains 44g of protein.

Easy for you when you like protein things :(

I have to pay very careful attention and supplement with powder sometimes to reach the 80-90 I'm aiming for. If I do 140 or higher my entire calorie allowance would be spent on beans and nothing else, and my allowance is pretty high. I imagine if I were to go for lower calories I would be drinking protein shakes 2-3 times a day.

You're right, i do tend to gravitate toward protein rich foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Every time I join the 800g of fruit and veg a day challenge I am stuffed full.

Ya, I didn't count calories when I was in Costa Rico, but lost weight effortlessly and unintentionally, and was eating a lot of fruit and veggies.