Crossfit vs regular gym

Options
cathipa
cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
A new crossfit gym is opening near me in a few months and my gym membership will be expiring soon after. I typically workout 5 days a week - 4-5 days strength training and 2-3 cardio. I have always been intrigued by crossfit, but when I inquired about the cost it was kind of a turn off. Any one who can shed some light on why I should make the jump? I mainly workout for heathy and composition and not for competition. TIA!

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If you are going to take classes at crossfit you should pay more than a regular gym membership... If you did classes or personal training at a regular gym there would be additional cost, so it only makes sense that crossfit charges accordingly as well.

Open gym with no classes is only $35 per month at my gym. You can do a punchcard for classes which makes them about $8 each. Or it's $120 per month for unlimited classes and open gym. I would consider that cheap compared to the classes and PT offered at my previous gym.

Things I would consider- do you want to take group classes and is this worth the cost to you, or do you prefer to workout on your own? Do they have all the equipment you would want to utilize if you were working out on your own? (My crossfit gym is very minimal compared to a "regular" gym. I would have to make adjustments to do my previous gym routine here.)
  • grymes7
    grymes7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have just started group cross fit classes. It has been one week. I took 2 classes to start as they were hard. I am now getting better at it. I am also over 50years and most are much younger in the class
  • cathipa
    Options
    I guess I'm just try to justify the cost. Its $100/month for unlimited classes (for the first 100 members) and $65 for open gym. If I knew I could commit to more classes per week then I would be all for it, but I just know my schedule probably wouldn't make it worth my time since I start my workout at 445/5am. Maybe if they did a punchcard type of membership that might be best. I just didn't know if crossfit imparted any improved physique attributes or if I should just keep doing what I'm doing since I like the results. I guess everyone is different when it comes to that though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is really an impossible question to answer without you actually having done crossfit. There are no convincing arguments either way. Can you try it for a few months and then go back to your old gym if it's not for you?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Cross fit will either turn you into a specimen of fitness, or lay you up with all sorts of injuries... i had a coworker who quit after 2 concussions, and she is a hard core fit freak. Be aware not all boxes are created equal. Get credentials from the trainers. That being said. Watch what crossfit athletes do, plenty of videos and documentaries on the subject. If that sort of pain appeals to you give it a go

How in the @$&# did she get 2 concussions?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Cross fit will either turn you into a specimen of fitness, or lay you up with all sorts of injuries... i had a coworker who quit after 2 concussions, and she is a hard core fit freak. Be aware not all boxes are created equal. Get credentials from the trainers. That being said. Watch what crossfit athletes do, plenty of videos and documentaries on the subject. If that sort of pain appeals to you give it a go

A failed box jump perhaps?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we can't really speak towards what type of results you could see.
    Some people at my box look jacked, others look pretty... normal. Depends on their personal goals, time training, diet. Some people may just be happy to get moving a few days a week and others want to compete.
    I am coming from powerlifting training, so I'm confident my conditioning will improve a lot as I'm not used to metcon type work. I've found I can't just jump in and do the 5 classes offered per week any way. I get too sore and beat up, despite having lifting experience.

Do they have a class schedule out yet? Our box usually has a 5 am workout, and you're in and out in a hour. See if they have a website or talk to someone about class times and punch card, etc.
  • cathipa
    Options
    Yeah, we can't really speak towards what type of results you could see.
    Some people at my box look jacked, others look pretty... normal. Depends on their personal goals, time training, diet. Some people may just be happy to get moving a few days a week and others want to compete.
    I am coming from powerlifting training, so I'm confident my conditioning will improve a lot as I'm not used to metcon type work. I've found I can't just jump in and do the 5 classes offered per week any way. I get too sore and beat up, despite having lifting experience.

Do they have a class schedule out yet? Our box usually has a 5 am workout, and you're in and out in a hour. See if they have a website or talk to someone about class times and punch card, etc.

Thanks! No they won't open until October so I'll just wait and see then.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    A new crossfit gym is opening near me in a few months and my gym membership will be expiring soon after. I typically workout 5 days a week - 4-5 days strength training and 2-3 cardio. I have always been intrigued by crossfit, but when I inquired about the cost it was kind of a turn off. Any one who can shed some light on why I should make the jump? I mainly workout for heathy and composition and not for competition. TIA!

It's expensive because you're working with a coach and/or multiple coaches. The only way you're really going to know is if you try it.

I gave it a go for a couple of months years ago and decided it wasn't my bag really. For one, it just all seemed very random but I also come from a background of being a competitive athlete once upon a time and training was very purposeful and calculated for what I was doing whereas CF felt rather arbitrary and random in regards to the WODs.

It initially interested me because I wanted to get back into Olympic lifting but there wasn't as much of that as I had hoped and not really enough for me to really work on improving technique...maybe that was just my box though, IDK.

I also didn't like having to be restricted to class start times. My schedule can be kinda all over the place with having kids and whatnot and I just like hitting the gym when I can hit the gym. The classes were also a bit rah-rah for me, but I'd also say that I'm kind of an introvert where my training is concerned and I'd just rather do my own thing.

I'm happier with my gym and found a coach to work with me one on one with my Olympic lifts which is really what I wanted out of CF in the first place...but it was mostly just random WODs...

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

A failed box jump perhaps?

I have scars on both of my shins from failed box jumps. I'm kinda proud of them, because even after I failed, I finished the WODs :).

Maybe she dropped a bar on her head? Super important reason to make sure that your coaches teach and enforce good form and proper lift mechanics/ guidelines (maybe don't go super heavy until you have perfect form on a lighter weight?)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Do the CrossFit. It is worth it, and I have a feeling you will love it.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Many Crossfitters continue to hold onto their non-Crossfit gym memberships. In addition to the gym in my basement, the Crossfit gym I train at, I keep an Anytime Fitness membership -- but thats because I am a PT there.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    CrossFit addict here. CrossFit can be done by anyone but isn't always for everyone. If you like small classes and working out in a small group that's great. The programming can seem a little random: its always varied functional fitness and if you like to say each week you have hit your various lifts (squats, deads, shoulder to overhead etc) then CrossFit might not be for you as you won't hit every lift every week. If you want to always be challenged, try new stuff, have variety in your workouts, learn gymnastics, olympic lifts and the compound movements, getting fitter and more conditioned both physically and mentally it could be for you.

CrossFit has made me stronger, fitter and leaner than I have ever been. I have learnt new skills and gained significant strength. I love working out in a small class. I love the coaching input to improve myself and my skills. I love the friends I have made. I love the community.

Check out the background of all the coaches as you can often get a sense of the flavour the programming is likely to take this way. If the coaches background in weight lifting you are likely to get more strength based workouts, if its endurance or performance sports its likely to cover more conditioning. If they were gymnastics focused expect to see a lot of pull ups, handstands and other core type movements.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If it's a good box with good coaches go for the Crossfit

This is key. I'm not a CrossFit person - tried a few workouts at two boxes and it's just not my jam. I'm an independent workout and group fitness person, and my gym offers those things + pool + sauna + 24h access for $89/month less than the nearest box town. Personal training is also cheaper at my gym than the box.

My friends that are CrossFitters have said that finding their box is like finding a spouse or a trainer or a therapist - you spend a little time together and decide if it's the right fit for you. One friend says the worst part of moving is finding a new box, and once spent two years without Crossfit because the only box within an hour's drive was not a good box. Another friend had a great box until two of the coaches left, and the new coaches made the place dangerous and injuries started accumulating. So it's great that there's a box opening near you, and the timing is convenient with your gym membership, but even if Crossfit is right for you, this isn't guaranteed to be the right place for you to do CrossFit. Luckily with the timing, it looks like you could maybe try some classes at the box before you have to decide about your gym membership, so you can test out the workouts, the staff, the other members, and the overall culture (safety, attitude towards women, how encouraging are people, etc) before you commit.
  • lhub2
    lhub2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been going to a regular gym for a few years, saw average results. Three months ago I joined a CrossFit gym. The difference is like night and day. Yes it more expensive, but you get coaches who are watching and correcting your form so you don't get hurt. Never had that at a gym. The workouts are challenging and difficult, but they are also scaleable. You do what you can. I've seen more results in three months of CrossFit than I ever saw in two years of gym workouts.
    Just my two cents. Enjoy
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    You have to try it and see if you like it.

I've done CrossFit before and would not mind doing a WOD here and there, but it can't be my main thing. I like having a plan as far as lifting, and CrossFit is kind of all over the place. I also like the quiet and peace of working out by myself.

So it depends on what is important to you.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have a former coworker who opened a box, so I tried it for about a week for free. As someone who doesn't play well with others, it wasn't for me...I prefer my solitary lifting and running program. Keep an eye on the new box...they may offer some good promos that will give you a chance to try it out for cheap/free and see if it's your thing!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you can answer this without trying crossfit first. Whether or not it's worth it is almost entirely based on how it matches your goals/preferences. Based on your goals, either crossfit or a traditional gym will be fine. The deciding factor will be the work/effort you put in, and your consistency long term.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

As others have identified the experience depends on the quality of the trainer's, and to an extent their focus rather than yours. Going to a PT should get you talked training to meet your goals, at a CrossFit studio you'll get what the plan is for the day.

To me, the latter point is a significant disbenefit. My training supports endurance running and cycling, and the inherently un-focused nature of CrossFit means that it's not really complimentary to my needs. I can't rely plan around it, or I'm having to fit running around the studio, rather than the other way round.

Personally I'd get more value for money from a conventional gym and a coach, but that's me. The only person who can answer the question is you.