FitBit Charge 2 Calories

Options
aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been a Flex user for the last two years and have LOVED it. Bought Charge 2 this weekend and have been getting ASTRONOMICAL calories burned numbers, which impact MFP net calories.

Ex: jogged a block to the gym, weight lifted, and walked 12k steps yesterday (total), got 3,601 calories burned on FitBit and 1,260 to MFP.
Ex2: jogged 2 miles (@15min/mile), 3.6k total steps during the day, 3,562 burned on FitBit, 1,225 to MFP.

Is anyone else seeing ridiculous calories being sent up from their FitBits? This is NOT unusual amounts of activity for me, but the Flex never credited me more than 350 calories for exercise before.

F/24/5'7"/235lbs

Replies

• Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have had my charge 2 for about a month and mine seems spot on for calorie burn. I don't get any extra calories until after I hit 10000 steps--and then I might get 100-300 if I hit 15000 or more. I get about the right amount for jogging and biking and practically none for weight lifting and body weight exercises. I would check your settings again? No real advice other than those numbers seem too high--jogging 2 miles might burn 200-400 calories.
  • aeloine
    Options
    Couldn't agree more.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My Charge 2 is pretty accurate.

Did you have all the settings correct? I'd go have a poke around the Fitbit users group.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely check all your settings. I've never had such high numbers on my charge 2 in the year I've had it, even the first few weeks when it was "learning" me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks to "learn you" eg your resting heart rate etc etc I've heard HRM devices give ridiculous calorie burns in the beginning.
  • aeloine
    Options
    I wear it on my non-dominant arm but reduced the sensitivity by telling it that it's my dominant arm. Seems to be more in line with what I was expecting.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I wear it on my non-dominant arm but reduced the sensitivity by telling it that it's my dominant arm. Seems to be more in line with what I was expecting.

Yeah that's how i set my Alta too. I accidentally left the fitbit app open on my kitchen counter once and while i was stirring a pot of food on the stove i was watching the steps go up and up :worried: So now i make sure and do not stir, mix or do anything much with my left hand.
  • aeloine
    Options

Yeah that's how i set my Alta too. I accidentally left the fitbit app open on my kitchen counter once and while i was stirring a pot of food on the stove i was watching the steps go up and up :worried: So now i make sure and do not stir, mix or do anything much with my left hand.

The big bummer is that I fidget with my left hand a lot while I'm working on the computer with my right hand.
  • Christine_72
    Options

The big bummer is that I fidget with my left hand a lot while I'm working on the computer with my right hand.

Stop it, stop it now! :lol:
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options

I wear my Charge 2 on my left wrist (non-dominant) and have Fitbit set to non-dominant. It normally counts steps properly. The major error is when I practice/play piano, then I wrap it around my ankle.
  • aeloine
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

I wear my Charge 2 on my left wrist (non-dominant) and have Fitbit set to non-dominant. It normally counts steps properly. The major error is when I practice/play piano, then I wrap it around my ankle.

Ah. Yet another fat ankle problem to add to my list!
  • CyberTone
    edited August 2017
    Options

Ah. Yet another fat ankle problem to add to my list!

Put it under a sock, or carry a mini-sweat band on your ankle and tuck it under that when needed. I do that also at the gym.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I put it through my shoelaces for spin because my wrists are tiny and my Small flex does not AT ALL fit around my ankle. If you put it through a fair bit of the lacing it shouldn't bounce around too much.
  • aeloine
    Options
    Whoa! Brilliant! I've been wondering how people were accounting for spin classes!
  • CyberTone
    Options
    Whoa! Brilliant! I've been wondering how people were accounting for spin classes!

I would also try putting it on your ankle to see if the Charge 2 will pick up your HR while spinning. Mine is a little spotty picking up HR when it is on my ankle.
  • Helkaahaien87
    Helkaahaien87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    All wrist based HR monitors are very inaccurate, it's best to go via a chest strap for better accuracy. Given that you really shouldn't base your calories off what MFP auto calculates as its usually very inaccurate. You should figure out your BMR & TDEE to help figure out your calories and macros. I use the calculator on Katy Hearns site https://www.katyhearnfit.com/macro-calculator.html

Though I have a FitBit I use it to track that I worked out, length of time, and activity. Other than that I just follow my macros
  • aeloine
    Options
    Thanks for the input @Helkaahaien87 !

That's not entirely what I'm looking for, with this post. I feel like I have my eating, calories, TDEE, BMR, etc. under control, in a way that has really been working for me. I'm more curious about the technical aspect of the Charge 2 over the Flex, and why the readings are so significantly different.
  • aeloine
    Options

I would also try putting it on your ankle to see if the Charge 2 will pick up your HR while spinning. Mine is a little spotty picking up HR when it is on my ankle.

Out of curiosity, does it count each revolution as a step?
  • CyberTone
    Options

Sorry, I don't know about spinning. At the gym, I only use the treadmill and strength train.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Approximately, which means you kind of get half credit for the steps, since it's just counting one leg. I do this with my Fitbit because I am a constant Challenge participant (although I'm screwed because I can't wear it at work, so I miss 10k steps during the work week) so that I get some kind of credit for the activity in the step challenge. I use MFP to log the actual exercise, which then overwrites the step credit, so it's not double-counted here.

I earn 3-5k steps in my spin classes, which are very much more like riding a road bike than a 'traditional' spin atmosphere -the instructor is a triathlete so these are training rides for her. The number of steps does track with how much of the class we spend at a high RPM - today was a lot of 80-90 RPM flat road riding, so I got about 5k Fitbit steps, whereas classes that are slogging hill climbs with a lot of time grinding up a heavy hill at 60 RPM come in closer to 3k.