Potato chipaholic

Options
What's your substitute for chips? I've tried veggie sticks and can't stand them. I'm a chipaholic. Also I could really use friends for motivation. I'm back after a year of health problems.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have several. Quest chips, Pirates booty and turkey jerky chips. I buy shaved turkey lunch meat, give each slice a quick dip in teriyaki and then dehydrate overnight. Delicious, salty and crunchy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    My substitute is buying the individual size bags instead of the large ones when I have a chip craving, usually once or twice a week. I work those 250 calories into my daily calorie goal and I have no risk of eating too much since it's a small bag.

This^

Lunch size bags will allow a bag everyday.

I'm not a chip eater but love popcorn. I eat too much if it's a big open bag. Instead I make a big microwave bowl of popcorn. I use a little oil for moisture, to help the salt stick.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I just eat chips. But I never buy the full size bags. I get those snack size bags, eat one, log it and I'm all good. If I buy the full size bags, all it takes is a moment of weakness and I'm on the couch with a bag watching a movie, mindlessly eating until 1/2 of the bag is gone.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I am not really a chipaholic, but I buy the baked cheetos, because I do love cheetos. I enjoy them and to me there is no big difference. I do buy the individual bags. What is hard for me to sit and eat a few is crackers. I do not know why but I like eating plain old crackers. I rarely buy them, but when I do I end up eating a few everytime I see the box.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb so my go-to are pork rinds and whisps (parmesan crisps)
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Individual bags vs family size, so you are limited
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One more for the individual sized bags. I just wish I could find the mix I want. Was worse on my holiday in the US. I don't like corn chips (doritos and the like) and could not find a box of small bags that didn't have them. So I was back to full sized bags.

Be happiest to find a box of salt & vinegar.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love potato chips, so I don't want any substitutes. I regularly make room in my calories for an ounce of potato chips. As long as I control the portion and put away the bag, I do fine.
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I bake kale leaves to make them crispy (coated with some OO and seasonings first). They aren't as good as potato chips (crisps in the UK!) bug I struggle to eat just one individual bag!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat chips because they don't satisfy my hunger. If I eat one I want to eat as many as are in the house. So I avoid them and eat something else. Plain yogurt with olives is salty and more filling. A fruit shake in the blender can make my tummy feel nice and bloated.

If I really want chips, I make sure to measure them and eat them with a protein, e.g. cheese melted on tortilla chips or a light sour cream dip for potato chips. Also, I'm more able to limit unsalted chips than salted ones.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dont buy them if you can't control yourself with them.

Plenty of things I dont buy cause I will binge on until theyre gone. i might treat myself with it once a month or so but i wont keep it in the house on a regular basis.
  • jennieskoolaid
    jennieskoolaid Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a chip monster and it's seriously a problem. I just love the crunch and flavours.....sooooo good. I'm definetly addicted to chips but this week starting today i am cutting them out of my life for good. So to satisfy that crunch factor I like to get those rice crackers and dip with humus also air popped popcorn with a drizzle of coconut oil is delicious. Pickles and olives work for that vinegar factor if you love salt and vinegar chips like I do.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb so my go-to are pork rinds and whisps (parmesan crisps)

Oh yes! Forgot to mention the cheese crisps. They are a great substitute.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Special k cracker chips aren't bad. You get a lot for 120 calories but they're not so good that you eat the whole bag. Don't ever try Grandma Utz's handmade potato chips....
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I eat the 1 ounce bags.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I buy the Beanitos brand of chips - they're made from beans so they have more fiber and protein! It helps me feel satisfied after a serving. They even have a brand of 'cheetos'! They sound weird but I love em! Fair warning ; they aren't potato chip like, more like a corn chip.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love potato chips and tortilla chips and salsa...I don't have any substitutes, I just don't really keep them in the house. I will usually do chips and salsa when we're hosting a BBQ or something and it's just one of those occasions I just let myself indulge and move along. The only time I eat potato chips is when I'm camping...I just enjoy every nibble and don't worry about it...

I've tried the individual bag thing and I just end up eating multiple bags...once I get started on chips, there's no stopping...I've just learned to live without them most of the time.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Who can eat just one? I don't buy them and if I see them find it easier to eat none, than to eat in moderation.