Can my shoes cause knee pain while running?

Options
I know I have about 200miles in my shoes, I know I need a new pair and I've been trying to decide. While running yesterday and today I had pain in my knee so severe that I had to stop. :( No cool. I have been googling and none of the descriptions or causes seem to fit. It feels like my knee cap is popping in and out of place, but ONLY while running. I couldn't even make it 1min in. :sad: I have never had knee problems before so I'm wondering if it's my shoes? I have a race on the 25th and I feel like crying when I think there is a possibility I won't be able to run it. :(

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Improperly fitted and/or broken down running shoes can definitely cause all sorts of problems, including knee pain.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above poster that improperly fitted shoes can cause problems. 200 miles though is on the low side though for needing new shoes. You should be able to get between 400-500 miles per pair of shoes if they are the rights ones for your gait. If you have not had a gait analysis done at a running store, i highly recommend it so that you know you are using the right shoes.

I am wondering, based on your goals in your signature, if you have run too far too quickly. Also, are you running any/most of your miles on sidewalk? Sidewalk is much less forgiving on the knees than road/asphalt. It's hard, because running feels so good and your body wants to run more, but you really have to build up your base slowly. When i started running again in 2005, i did too much too quickly and came down with a classic case of patella femoral syndrome (PFS, also known as runner's knee). i had to do physical therapy and kept my mileage low for over a year before i was able to do a decent run (6 miles) without pain.

good luck and i hope it's nothing bad so that you can do your race.
    Lisa
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you have a school with a rubberized track nearby, they are great for saving wear on your body. I haven't looked, but if you are significantly overweight, it is a good idea to limit yourself to elliptical and hard incline walking for a few months to let your body adjust more easily to the increased exercise. Getting hurt will put a big cramp in your plans.

Nevermind the last . . .you definately aren't overweight.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above poster that improperly fitted shoes can cause problems. 200 miles though is on the low side though for needing new shoes. You should be able to get between 400-500 miles per pair of shoes if they are the rights ones for your gait. If you have not had a gait analysis done at a running store, i highly recommend it so that you know you are using the right shoes.

I am wondering, based on your goals in your signature, if you have run too far too quickly. Also, are you running any/most of your miles on sidewalk? Sidewalk is much less forgiving on the knees than road/asphalt. It's hard, because running feels so good and your body wants to run more, but you really have to build up your base slowly. When i started running again in 2005, i did too much too quickly and came down with a classic case of patella femoral syndrome (PFS, also known as runner's knee). i had to do physical therapy and kept my mileage low for over a year before i was able to do a decent run (6 miles) without pain.

good luck and i hope it's nothing bad so that you can do your race.
    Lisa

Alright, so my theory is sound! :smile:
    Thanks for the advice, I am only able to sidewalk run, no treadmill, gym membership nor school that I can use. I also am heavly restricted in the time I have to run. I have actually been running for years, like you, I had to stop running and keep my distance low due to a lower leg injury (stress fracture). I have increased my endurance quite slowly over the last 8 months Being that I hard surface run my shoes have a lower life span. I know they are beyond the thresh hold. I just have never EVER had any pain in my knees so this was quite shocking and out of the blue. I am convinced it must be the shoes. I just hope that I will be OK for the race on the 25th.:sad:
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    200 miles though is on the low side though for needing new shoes. You should be able to get between 400-500 miles per pair of shoes if they are the right ones for your gait.
    Lisa

Lis, I wear out my shoes after about 225 miles, and so do several of my other heavier friends. It is sucky and expensive, but we can totally feel a difference in our knees at that point. (Also agree about the road surface--as you know I run every step on sidewalk, so that wears shoes out faster and is harder on the body in general.) One of my friends had cancelled running with me a couple of times because her knees hurt so bad; she got new shoes and it was instantly better. I do hate when the solution is expensive, but I bet new shoes will fix things. Good luck getting to run your race, DizzieFerg!
  • wendytobin
    wendytobin Posts: 208
    Options
    it sounds like it could be your shoes thats causing the knee problem.

you need to get your gait analysed if you haven't done already, and get new shoes, ideally this weekend, so this will give you 2 weeks before your race to wear them in, you dont want to wear brand new shoes on race day without putting a couple of miles on them first.

all the best with your race
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I know I have about 200miles in my shoes, I know I need a new pair and I've been trying to decide. While running yesterday and today I had pain in my knee so severe that I had to stop. :( No cool. I have been googling and none of the descriptions or causes seem to fit. It feels like my knee cap is popping in and out of place, but ONLY while running. I couldn't even make it 1min in. :sad: I have never had knee problems before so I'm wondering if it's my shoes? I have a race on the 25th and I feel like crying when I think there is a possibility I won't be able to run it. :(

Gutting! :grumble:

Perhaps get a new pair of trainers and then purchase "sorbothane insoles" - these are not any old insoles, they have a life of 10 years and take over 80-90% of the shock that is caused when running on hard surfaces, they are brilliant helping to prevent shin splints and shin soreness, they are also used for the prevention and relief of , Patella Tendonitis (Jumpers Knee), Arthritis, foot pain and Runners Knee. They are the nearest material in texture to human skin. They replace the normal insoles in trainers.

Having said that, if you already have an injury on your knee, they won't of course, heal it up. However, for future reference, it would be a good idea to get some. If your shoe size is not available because they have run out of stock, get a size bigger and cut it down to your size at the toe end - I know this works because I have done this myself and was also advised that it will not stop the effectiveness of them doing so. If you want to read up on them more:

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Sorbothane_Double_Strike/2013/38134.html

Your knee may have a cartilage injury, but of course, only the doctor can tell you exactly what it is.

Really hoping your knee is not badly injured and hoping so much that you will get to your race xxx
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

Gutting! :grumble:

Perhaps get a new pair of trainers and then purchase "sorbothane insoles" - these are not any old insoles, they have a life of 10 years and take over 80-90% of the shock that is caused when running on hard surfaces, they are brilliant helping to prevent shin splints and shin soreness, they are also used for the prevention and relief of , Patella Tendonitis (Jumpers Knee), Arthritis, foot pain and Runners Knee. They are the nearest material in texture to human skin. They replace the normal insoles in trainers.

Having said that, if you already have an injury on your knee, they won't of course, heal it up. However, for future reference, it would be a good idea to get some. If your shoe size is not available because they have run out of stock, get a size bigger and cut it down to your size at the toe end - I know this works because I have done this myself and was also advised that it will not stop the effectiveness of them doing so. If you want to read up on them more:

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Sorbothane_Double_Strike/2013/38134.html

Your knee may have a cartilage injury, but of course, only the doctor can tell you exactly what it is.

Really hoping your knee is not badly injured and hoping so much that you will get to your race xxx

COOL! Thanks for the rec. those inserts sound awesome! I'm definitely going to check those out. :flowerforyou: