Where do I start?

Options
2»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I guess that's where the "Where do I start?" question comes from. Cigs first? Track calories and get moving? Lol, decisions decisions. Great job on your loss by the way!!! Fixing to go check out this calculator you suggested.

That's raised many questions for me, too. Sooo many calculators. Thought I understood the TDEE deal and looked at calculators on www.iifym.com and boy that just threw me for a loop.

Thanks.

So yeah, at this point.. all you need to do is pick one thing and go for it. You can smoke and lose weight just by watching your calories and counting them accurately.

Losing weight and being fit are separate things. Sure, a lot of folks do both, but if you have to choose.. and losing weight is your biggest hurdle, just count your calories and find out what you need to eat to lose. Or, if quitting is your first goal.. then go that direction. It wouldn't hurt to count your intake either way.
  • JennyBean8
    JennyBean8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OK! Then what you want to do is set small goals. Trying to do too much all at once, can stress you out, and really put a damper on things if you cannot reach your goals. I used to do it all the time and when I slipped, I continued to slip because I thought I was a failure. Since you are new to exercise, start slowly. Start walking and gradually increase your speed/duration, once it becomes easy for you. Get involved in something you love! Since you like water, water aerobics would be great! It is so easy on your joints and so fun, you don't even feel like you are working out, when in fact, you are using the water as your resistance and you are getting an incredible workout!

I am all for you quitting the smokes!!! I quit cold turkey, and I was a bartender at the time, during the times you were still allowed to smoke indoors! So, if I can quit with people blowing it in my face every day, you can too! However, it can be tough, so don't put yourself down if you end up caving and have one, just make a choice to start by cutting down and gradually increase it IF you can't do the cold turkey.
  • lisapalla
    lisapalla Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you what your calories should be - you really should stick to it because it works! I also am a smoker - I've lose 20 pounds, gained back 3. I want to lose the rest of my weight before I quit smoking but my daughter is really on me. Just start again - forget about the last weight loss and concentrate on this one!!! Good luck!!:smile: