I want to get rid of skinny-fatness, but can't lift weights. Advice please?

Options
So, I am about halfway to my goal weight. I want to start exercising, both for health and to try to minimize the loose skin and flab. The last time I was thin I was extremely skinny-fat and looked terrible, even though I was a healthy weight and did cardio (walking and running) regularly.

My plan was originally to start weight lifting. However, my regular doctor and neurologist have forbidden this. I have a large cyst on my spinal cord and lifting can make it bigger/worse. My lifting limit is now ~10lbs total at a time.

Does anyone have advice on how I can work on improving body composition with these kinds of restrictions? I'm lost! My neurologist suggested swimming but I have no idea how well that would work.

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest swimming. It's full body against resistance. Start before it gets too cold!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Swimming would absolutely work. :) You might also be able to do some resistance band work, and while 10 pounds isn't a lot, it's still more than zero and far from a waste. You could do more reps (if the doctors approve, of course). Good luck!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great - ask your docs if you can swim with paddles and flippers as well. Paddles really get the arms working and flippers the legs. In my experience both don't seem to put any load on your back either but I would get it checked out first. Good luck, if you keep looking you will find something I am sure :-)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    You can use slow training...

Execute a motion very slowly (as in over a period of 10 seconds or longer)... do it slowly enough, you can still build muscle with low weights. Spend enough time slowly raising and lowering 10 lbs... and it doesn't feel so light.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Can you do body weight strength training? Push-ups, pullups, planks, lunges, squats?
  • BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you are able to do some things like planks, I would also suggest barre in addition to swimming (or to change it up).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Cardio has a greater impact on skinny fat conditions than weight lifting.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Can you do body weight strength training? Push-ups, pullups, planks, lunges, squats?

This was going to be my question too. If you can't lift can't you still do body weight strength training?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

Execute a motion very slowly (as in over a period of 10 seconds or longer)... do it slowly enough, you can still build muscle with low weights. Spend enough time slowly raising and lowering 10 lbs... and it doesn't feel so light.

^^^^^All day. 5lbs might not seen that heavy until you try to slow down or "hold", such as with lateral dumbbell raises.. holding for 30 seconds at a time, 5lbs gets pretty heavy!!!
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, thanks so much for the responses! For the moment my top ideas are swimming and low weights.
    BPRKEY wrote: »
    If you are able to do some things like planks, I would also suggest barre in addition to swimming (or to change it up).

Unforunately, barre might be tough for me as I have balance issues. I will look into it though!
    bwmalone wrote: »

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Going to clear this with my neuro and start right away if I get the go-ahead.

Hmm, I'm actually not sure about this. I'm supposed to avoid anything that will lead to straining or putting pressure on my spine, so I suspect pullups would be out. I'll definitely ask about the others though because I am ready to get rid of this flab!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Pilates and yoga may be an option if you can find really good practitioners, more so pilates to make sure your technique is spot on. There's a studio here where the instructor is also a physiotherapist, if you could find that it might be perfect.