Glycogen replenishment vs true weight gain?

How long should my trend line keep going up when glycogen is restored? I've been assuming that it happens over a few days, and that an upward moving line 2-3 weeks out from upping cals is true weight gain?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Good question. I'm not a scientist, but I also assume it takes a few days, however I wouldn't count the upward trend as weight gain till at least after you've had one complete cycle after the loss of glycogen stores.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Depends how depleted you were and then how you are restoring them I would assume.
    A post exercise deliberate recovery to prepare for the next day's training would be different to a small increase in calories or carbs over a period of days for instance.

Really a pre-menopausal woman may well have to wait a month to see the real trend.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Post-menopausal and trying to find my maintenance cals. The last time I switched to maintenance, my Fitbit was overstating my activity by about 300 cals. (Whoever heard of burning 70-100 cals for 15 minutes of reading my phone while walking up and down a hallway?)

First my daily weigh-ins were up a few pounds, but the trend line was not as high, and holding somewhat steady. The next 2 weeks, both daily weigh-ins and the trend line went up steadily. All told my trend line jumped up one and half pounds over 3 weeks, and my daily weigh-ins went up 5 or 6 lbs with no end in sight. At that point, I dropped my cals again and spent the next couple months straightening things out.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If you have been reducing carbohydrate intake then I would wait at least 3-4 days before assessing your trend for a further 7-14 days.

My depleted to supercompensated weigh can fluctuate 14-20lbs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    What does your trendweight app say? Is it saying you're losing/gaining/maintaining?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Jen, you've made many posts about this puzzle you've experienced. Have you received any helpful insightful tips? What has been your weight range over the past 4-6 weeks? Do you feel it's higher or lower than you want to be? I encourage you to share specific numbers because it's really hard to address generalities.

You say you dropped your cals s couple months ago so where are things now?

I'm post menopausal and my trend line swings a few lbs over a 4_6 week period. It seems that maintenance is a series of small constant adjustments. I'm not sure you're ever going to hit one on number that is your perfect maintenance cals.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Back in my racing days, it would take me 3-4 days to get back to normal and see my weight level back off (I use the term "level" somewhat loosely here).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2017
    In my case, glyocogen levels deplete after 3-5 days. weight fluctuates but if you are seeing scale creep steadily higher after 2 or 3 weeks then you know its true gain. Your trend line should show your average weight regardless of fluctuations so each month you know you're within your maintenance range.