Calories burned at boot camp?

Options
kyleekay10
kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
Hi all,

I am going to be starting a boot camp class (60 mins long) which involves cardio intervals and strength training. At orientation we were told it could burn 600-800 cals per 60 min class. I went and looked at the MFP --> Aerobic High Intensity calories burned estimate, and it was around 380 per 60 mins (I'm 5'5'' and weigh about 125 lbs).

I can't afford a HRM or anything right now, so my question is this: Is it better to just underestimate how many calories I'm burning at these classes? My guess would be yes, but then I'm afraid I might not be eating back enough calories.

Advice is appreciated :)

Replies

• lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    I run a boot camp on the weekend. It really depends on the types of activities and the amount of rest in between. One of my clients wears a Heart rate monitor. Its not unusual for her to burn 700-800 calories in an hour.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    Should I maybe assume that I'm burning 450-500 calories?
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    It depends on how well you know your body. My philosophy is that if you feel like you got your tail kicked, there's a good possibility that you've burned a lot of calories so I would gravitate towards the high end. If you feel like you got a good workout but nothing spectacular then 450-500 would probably be a good estimate. Either way, give it hell!
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    Will do- thank you!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    It's really going to vary. Unless you have an HRM, and even with one, it's still going to be an estimate.
  • kristacky
    kristacky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on the activities and how much you push yourself, but if it's pretty intense without breaks in between then I would think you're burning around 500 calories. When I log my exercise, I go under cardio and look up "jogging" for 15 mins (since my bootcamp class starts out with that) and then also under cardio I search for "circuit training" (since bootcamp workouts are similar) and put in 45mins for that. My estimated total calories burned are around 515.
  • wanarun
    wanarun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You should log your exercise as circuit training. Boot camp is pretty intense. I asked my trainer and he is very familiar with fitness pal and told me to log it as circuit training,