SL 5x5 what equipment is needed

Options
jayemes
jayemes Posts: 865 Member
I'm joining a gym in September and have been reading up on Stronglifts 5x5. I just want to clarify what I need for this program so I make sure the YMCA I'm probably going to join has the correct equipment.

I know it's preferable to have a squat rack for the squats, but what else do you need the squat rack for? I'm thinking the overhead press and the bench press, but the bench press could also be done on a regular bench without the cage, correct?
The other lifts (deadlift, barbell row) don't need the cage correct? Just the bar/weights?

Do gyms generally have barbells only on the squat cages, so anyone who wanted to those compound lifts would be waiting on one of the cages? I hate to admit that even though I've been in the free weight section before I never even glanced over toward the "serious" stuff.

I've used dumbbells before but this will be my first time picking up a barbell so I just want to have as much information as possible so I can feel confident when I start.

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If there isn't a high demand for the squat rack, I stay there and do all of my lifts, except the bench. But you only "need" the squat rack for squats. You can place the bar on the floor and load it for the other lifts, you'll just have to clean it up for OHP. My gym has a ton of benches with the bar set up...if the squat rack is in demand, I'll move and use the bar and floor for my other lifts. I never use the cage for bench...it just feels weird. If possible, take a tour of the Y before you join and see what they have...find out when the least busy times are and try to go then, especially if there is limited equipment.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You need the squat rack for squats only. That is a must if you are going to do 5x5. No other safe way to do those and get bar onto your shoulder. Every gym I have ever seen has a bench designed for bench press as well, so those would be done there. Overhead press can be started from the floor and lifted (cleaned) to your shoulders. Deadlift and rows are both started from the floor.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yup, I use the squat rack for squats and overhead press (you can "clean it" up to the right height initially, but you may eventually reach a weight where that isn't feasible or comfortable - at least I did.) Bench for bench press and you can use a barbell anywhere to do deads and rows.

Are you a member of the women's SL 5x5 group on MFP? It's a great group of ladies who share their knowledge. Lots of good info there to read about how you may want to modify lifts or the program to better work for you, guidance on form, etc.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I'm joining a gym in September and have been reading up on Stronglifts 5x5. I just want to clarify what I need for this program so I make sure the YMCA I'm probably going to join has the correct equipment.

I know it's preferable to have a squat rack for the squats, but what else do you need the squat rack for? I'm thinking the overhead press and the bench press, but the bench press could also be done on a regular bench without the cage, correct?
    The other lifts (deadlift, barbell row) don't need the cage correct? Just the bar/weights?

Do gyms generally have barbells only on the squat cages, so anyone who wanted to those compound lifts would be waiting on one of the cages? I hate to admit that even though I've been in the free weight section before I never even glanced over toward the "serious" stuff.

I've used dumbbells before but this will be my first time picking up a barbell so I just want to have as much information as possible so I can feel confident when I start.

Most gyms will have a separate bench(es) with a rack/arms holding another barbell for bench pressing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    At least at my gym, there is a row of (fixed) incline bench press benches that are in less demand - so swiping a bar from those is an option for the OHP, deadlift, rows, however space is much more limited away from the squat racks-so not typically done there. If you are female just starting out with strength training, you may not be able to OHP the full-size olympic bar. Most places have at least 1 junior bar (~5' long and ~25 lb) somewhere - probably near the bicep isolation stands if they have those.
  • jayemes
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@jessiefrancine I did join the 5x5 group but didn't feel comfortable jumping in there until I started the program.

@MotherOfSharpei I'll definitely tour the gym - I have a Y and a NYSC about the same distance away so I that's why I wanted to clarify what equipment I needed - so I can make sure to look out for it! :smile:
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Squat cage for squats and sometimes bench press. U can also overhead press in the cage but I am tall so my barbell touches the top of cage.

Separate bench press, but you might need a spotter when weights get heavy later on (not so if you bench inside the squat cage which has safety bars).

Barbell row and deadlifts will need barbell and plates only.

Pull up and dips station if you want to do accessory exercises of sl5x5.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Squats - cage required. Set the safeties just below the bottom of your range of movement so the bar wouldn't drop a long way if you did fail.

Deadlifts - cage can be useful if you're not using full size plates to start with or, like me, have ankle mobility issues that mean you can't deadlift the bar if it starts on the floor! You can set the safeties to the right height for the starting point of your lift. If you need a bit of a boost and don't want to hog a cage, gyms often have boxes or tyres that you can use under the barbell and plates to get it to a sensible starting height.

OHP - cage is useful as you can rack the barbell at the right height for you to avoid having to clean it up every time. Top technique tip - don't wrap your thumbs around the bar. Put your elbows a little further forward than you might otherwise consider and have the bar sit more vertically above your wrist, rather than back towards your fingers. It's much more comfortable and better for your wrists!

Bench press - be a bit careful with this one. Most bench press benches don't actually have safety bars, so if you're pushing yourself hard you should probably have a spotter in case you fail. Otherwise, learn how to fail safely by controlling the bar down to your chest and rolling it to your lap. You can also build a bench press in a squat cage, by putting a bench into the cage and setting the safeties to just below the lowest point of your movement. Rack the bar at a comfortable height above you. I do this quite often when I'm going heavy and don't have my trainer with me to spot (and there's a spare cage and a spare bench!)

Barbell rows - similar to deadlifts and OHP, a cage is a nice to have as you can put the safeties or rack a bit below your lowest range for the row so you don't have to heft the bar all the way off the floor every time. Alternatively, boxes or tyres are handy so you can pick up the bar more easily, and just take one step back or something to do your set.

When I did SL 5x5 I tended to just commandeer a cage for the duration of my workout, but let people work in with me if we were doing compatible things.
    Also, you can e.g. deadlift on the platform that's normally in front of a squat cage while someone else is in the cage squatting. That's 100% the norm at my current gym, but I don't know if that would be true everywhere!

Most gyms I've been to have some spare barbells around, often hanging vertically on the sides of the squat cages, or in a dedicated vertical rack type thing.

And definitely look out for the small bar (15kg in the UK, compared to 20kg for an Olympic bar) particularly for starting out on OHP. In fact, some people just prefer the smaller diameter of the little bar, even if they could lift heavier, so it's worth trying anyway.
  • jayemes
    Options
    Thank you @misnomer1 and @cs2thecox for all the great information!