How to start again

Options
I lost 15 pounds and gained 22 back in about 18 months...where do I get the the motivation to start over. September is like the new year for me since I work in a school. I am 58 and getting weary of this vicious cycle.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Eat in a way that you feel you can sustain. Eat foods you love but a little less than you have been. Whatever you choose to do, make sure it's something you can stick to and not a fad diet of some kind with the sole purpose of weight loss. Use the number MFP gives you with your stats, weigh solids and measure liquids, making things ahead can make it easier.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How weary are you? THAT is your motivation. Decide whether you are really willing to make lifelong changes. Think about why you gained back and what you need to change. Then take changes in small steps. Don't do anything you're not willing to do long term. You have the skills yo lie, now it's all about the mindset.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 62. It doesn't get any easier so just bite the bullet and maintain in a 5# range. I got tired of yoyoing 20-25# as well. It's too hard. This is my last time and I have 3# to maintenance but took 8 months to lose 17 because I want to be able to maintain.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm 62. It doesn't get any easier so just bite the bullet and maintain in a 5# range. I got tired of yoyoing 20-25# as well. It's too hard. This is my last time and I have 3# to maintenance but took 8 months to lose 17 because I want to be able to maintain.

I'm still struggling with maintaining. Old habits die hard. My issue has been eating over. Then trying to restrict..doing that.. then binge..I fell back into this cycle at the end of the school year and have yet to keep a steady pace going more than two weeks. But, I am determined, and I continue to exercise and log. I will do this with God's help!

• LeLoupVit
    LeLoupVit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Over the course of six to seven months, I put on twenty-one pounds, though the last five or so pounds were probably due to water retention, but that's beside the point. I put on unwanted pounds, and I tried to shed them before only to regain the weight lost and a few more additional pounds. So, I had to re-start the weight loss process again, and I did so because it was worth it. Needless to elaborate, feeling more healthy and confident in yourself is worth it, and for those reasons and more, I started over again to lose all the weight that I gained and return back to the healthy body that I used to have for most of my adult life. In a nutshell, because it is worth it, we start over again to reach our treasured goals, and in the company of supportive MFP pals here on this forum, you're motivation to lose the weight gain will be that much higher.
    I wish you the best!
  • jeter55
    jeter55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile: Wow all of the replies have been terrific, now I know why I joined MFP
    Thanks so much !!!!
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's time to review your strategy though. How did you first loose weight and why did they come back. How come the habits during weight loose was not sustainable. What change do you need to implement so that this time, you could maintain it instead of regaining it. Once you figure these out, you will break the cycle.