A kind of a stop watch

Options
SEAHORSES4EVER
SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
A friend inspired this today, also from one of my favourite The Twilight Zone episodes and a British 90s show called Bernards Watch...

The watch pauses the passage of time for everyone and everything, except the watch holder.

McNulty tries to show his former boss the power of the stopwatch. McNulty says it can be used to make their company the largest in the world. His boss dismisses him. Before leaving, McNulty uses the stopwatch mischievously to rearrange random things in the office. Returning to the bar, he tries to demonstrate the power of the watch to the customers, but eventually realizes that no one else is aware of time being suspended.

McNulty uses the stopwatch to break into a bank vault, but while carting out a pile of cash he drops the watch. It breaks, leaving time permanently frozen. Unaware of a way to repair it, McNulty runs around in a panic, begging the frozen people to talk or move.

What would you do if you could pause time?
Or would you leave it well alone?

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Click-movie-poster.jpg
  • CaloricCountess
    CaloricCountess Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Being a realist over an optimist, I've read that an invisibility cloak might be possible soon; so I'd like to trade the watch for that instead!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    One question, when you use the stopwatch are people frozen, like in suspended animation and I am the only one who can do anything or are other people going about doing their normal stuff but unaware that time is not moving forward?
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Assuming the watch will break I'd go on with marrying my longtime lover and we'd spend the rest of our lives traveling the world on an ultimate honeymoon. Once we turned old and grey we'd return to the Vampire State Building to have champagne but while we're there a time portal will open up and the Professor will come out. After repairing the watch he'll state that he programmed it to return back in time to the moment it broke and all knowledge of the timeline after that event would be forgotten. I'll ask my wife if she wants to "go around again" and we'll pass through the time portal together.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    One question, when you use the stopwatch are people frozen, like in suspended animation and I am the only one who can do anything or are other people going about doing their normal stuff but unaware that time is not moving forward?

Good question because if so, I would pause time at the very first cancer cell, get it completely removed before it grew, no chemo, no radiation, no pain for that special loved one. But not if all the medical staff is frozen too.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    i'd do what McNulty did, but on purpose. use the watch. freeze everything. smash the watch.

8hvb8w8dcemk.gif
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Yes, everyone else is frozen but you and they are completely unaware of it.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Assuming the watch will break I'd go on with marrying my longtime lover and we'd spend the rest of our lives traveling the world on an ultimate honeymoon. Once we turned old and grey we'd return to the Vampire State Building to have champagne but while we're there a time portal will open up and the Professor will come out. After repairing the watch he'll state that he programmed it to return back in time to the moment it broke and all knowledge of the timeline after that event would be forgotten. I'll ask my wife if she wants to "go around again" and we'll pass through the time portal together.

So you're going to travel around with a frozen girl? That's not weird at all :D enjoy that honeymoon!
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

So you're going to travel around with a frozen girl? That's not weird at all :D enjoy that honeymoon!

No silly, she'll be in the time shelter and wont be affected by the stoppage of time.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I would have to leave things well enough alone. Note however that I am that person who would win the lottery and then get hit by a cab and die as soon as I picked up the check and walked out of the bank. I have to keep as much random noise out of my life as possible.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    I reckon that I'd be taking a leisurely stroll through a ladies locker room or two.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options

No silly, she'll be in the time shelter and wont be affected by the stoppage of time.

Stop trying to make time shelter happen!
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    I would have to leave things well enough alone. Note however that I am that person who would win the lottery and then get hit by a cab and die as soon as I picked up the check and walked out of the bank. I have to keep as much random noise out of my life as possible.

Ha. Sounds like my kind of luck too. I would probably smash the thing at the worst possible moment too.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    I think it would be useful to have the ability of that kid in xmen where he could move so quickly that the rest of the people were frozen, and he could change things around. I'd use that if someone dropped by the house so I could get it clean in time while they were frozen at the door.

yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking...... I would use this incredible superpower to tidy up the house.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    I think it would be useful to have the ability of that kid in xmen where he could move so quickly that the rest of the people were frozen, and he could change things around. I'd use that if someone dropped by the house so I could get it clean in time while they were frozen at the door.

That would be useful for me too, for when I leave things until right at the last minute and forget birthdays. They'd never know!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Okay well since I can't stop cancer I guess I'll stop time on a Saturday morning while I do my weekly house cleaning. Then at least I'll have an extra 5 or 6 hours on the weekend.