Fruit flies help

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I can't get rid of the things! I've been pouring boiling water and vinegar down the drain, putting the fruit away, tried the apple cider vinegar trap/dish detergent thing... nothing's working...

Any tried and true tip to get rid of them?

Replies

• pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    It is soooo hard. Keep doing all those things, and make sure that every possible spot that is wet is dried off. Cover and store anything that is possibly sticky or sweet.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Argh, I did it again. I thought this thread was going to explain how fruit flies are beneficial. I put too much stock into punctuation.

at7v0ktc0d3e.png
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Argh, I did it again. I thought this thread was going to explain how fruit flies are beneficial. I put too much stock into punctuation.

at7v0ktc0d3e.png

I did too. Since I can't get rid of the *kitten* I was hoping to find out how I can put them to work.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

at7v0ktc0d3e.png

Same. I thought "Oh, I gotta check this out because I hate those little effers".
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I must have lazy flies, most of the one's that get inside just sit in the window. I usually vacuum them up real quick before they can fly away.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem - except these little flies were not drain flies or fruit flies - although similar in shape and size. These aggravating little things would land somewhere, dart about in a straight line a couple of inches, make an odd turn angle and immediately dart again. Very hard to smack 'em and kill 'em.

What ended up working was leaving the trash can open a crack overnight and using a flying insect spray first thing in the morning. Even when using the insecticide, it still took a few days to get them all.
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Heat up some apple cider vinegar in a jar or glass w dawn soap. Then cover with Saran Wrap and poke holes. This is the only thing I have found that works! Heating it up makes it stinky and attracts the flies!
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Heat up some apple cider vinegar in a jar or glass w dawn soap. Then cover with Saran Wrap and poke holes. This is the only thing I have found that works! Heating it up makes it stinky and attracts the flies!

This works for me too!!!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    spraying the neighboring surfaces with permethrin should kill them when they land (don't do if you have cats). Though probably not worth buying just for this once (I normally have it on hand to treat hiking clothes and hammock).
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Invite them to dinner and have an open dialogue about their needs and how you can live together in harmony.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If they are in the drain I usually use 1/2 C sale and 1/2 C baking powder, put it in the drain, add 1 C of white vinegar, let it sit for a 15 minutes or overnight, and then flush with hot water.

Homemade traps with vinegar and sugar and a bit of dishwashing liquid, or a glass of chardonnay works wonders as well if they are outside the drain. They love wine!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I can't get rid of the things! I've been pouring boiling water and vinegar down the drain, putting the fruit away, tried the apple cider vinegar trap/dish detergent thing... nothing's working...

It looks like you can get rid of fruit flies with apple cider vinegar.

fspp4v354f16.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

It looks like you can get rid of fruit flies with apple cider vinegar.

fspp4v354f16.jpg

Didn't work for us, lol. Starting to think it's the brand...
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Fruit flies help with what?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    Trust me...the wine works best. Red wine. Plus easy clean up. Out the cork in and toss those drowned *kitten* mother *kitten*

I discovered that by accident once. Left an open bottle on the counter, mostly empty but enough remaining to attract the little pests and apparently once they get down in the bottle they can't get out. I felt brilliant! :lol: