Weight loss and 5x5

RandJ6280
RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
I am thinking about doing the 5x5 stronglift in September... can I expect to lose any weight during this time?

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited August 2017
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    I am thinking about doing the 5x5 stronglift in September... can I expect to lose any weight during this time?

If you're in a calorie deficit, yes.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Yes. This is how I lost 20 pounds in the earlier part of the year. I suggest giving it at least a month before you see significant weight loss. My scale barely moved for 4 weeks as my body was adjusting to the new routine. Since my muscles weren't used to lifting, they were very sore and my body needed a lot of extra water in the muscles to help heal them and make them stronger. Luckily someone warned me that this can happen with a new lifting routine so I used a tape measure to track my measurements in the first four weeks and saw significant loss and change there. In six months, stronglifts completely recomposed my body with more lean muscle and less fat. I highly recommend it along with a short burst of cardio after you lift. I recently moved on to a more specific workout plan but I learned all the fundamentals for my compound lifts from the program.