Legitimate exercise calories

Options
HI all - My fitbit is linked to MFP. I frequently plod around the house, marching in place, etc. in order to rack up steps. Frequently I also jog in place. So far today I have 14,295 steps of which maybe 7000 are from plodding or marching around the house. Fitbit is giving me 530 exercise calories. My question is "Are these legitimate exercise calories?" Opinions?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    HI all - My fitbit is linked to MFP. I frequently plod around the house, marching in place, etc. in order to rack up steps. Frequently I also jog in place. So far today I have 14,295 steps of which maybe 7000 are from plodding or marching around the house. Fitbit is giving me 530 exercise calories. My question is "Are these legitimate exercise calories?" Opinions?

Depends on how big you are and what you set MFP at. When I was 300+ pounds, that would have sounded about right.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'5 CW at 146 with a goal of 124. I am 67 yrs old and my activity is set at sedentary. I guess what I'm asking does "plodding" count as exercise. Should Fitbit be giving be exercise calories for plodding?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    These are "activity" calories, lumped in with exercise. There is no separate activity "bucket" to put them in. If you signed up as sedentary but took 10,000 steps, that's an increase from sedentary. So when you are syncing FitBit, it does a comparison to your MFP setting and gives you a "credit" for the difference.

Can you trust these calories? That's a whole other question. Some people can eat 100% of their earned FitBit
    calories and lose weight as expected. I would start by eating back 50% (of 530) and adjust the % up or down based on several weeks of actual weight loss results.

To me exercise is something that improves my fitness. A jog that gets me slightly out of breath. But others will have differing opinions.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    "To me exercise is something that improves my fitness. A jog that gets me slightly out of breath. But others will have differing opinions" I do agree! Today, I did go to the gym, doing some cardio and a bit of weights. However, I'm still trying to lose more weight and burn calories when I return from the gym. Hence, my plodding.