Anyone find success by walking 10k steps a day?

Options
Hi everyone
I have read conflicting reports on the 10k a day for weight loss. My goal is to walk at least 10k a day.

My question is -- along with eating well, anyone lose weight by the 10k steps per day?

Replies

• macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are eating. You can't walk 10 k steps and eat 4000 calories and expect to lose weight.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds in the past few months. I'm set for 1400 calories and all I do is walk. No other exercise right now. 10k steps gives me an extra few hundred calories to play with and I'm losing every week. Just don't eat back EVERY SINGLE calorie for walking - I find they're a bit exaggerated. I get probably 100 extra calories per mile give or take. I eat back maybe 75% of them just to leave some wiggle room for over estimating and my own logging laziness. It's working for me so far.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm ensuring I'm in a calorie deficit, yes. I can easily get in 10,000 steps at work (some days upwards of 15,000), but it's still very possible to overeat.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't track my steps, so I'm unsure how many I walk each day - I have a desk job, so I'm guessing it's just barely 10,000 a day. However walking (on my lunch break every day & in the evenings 4/5 days a week) is the only exercise I do and along with tracking my calories I have successfully lost almost 25lb since the beginning of the year. So I do think walking makes a big difference, not sure if you NEED to reach a certain number though.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    macclone wrote: »
    It depends on what you are eating. You can't walk 10 k steps and eat 4000 calories and expect to lose weight.

This. I've walked that sort of figure most days for my whole life (I don't drive so that's kinda essential), and I still put on 50kg.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!