Vitamin supplements and weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    How important is taking your daily vitamins in relation to losing weight?

Note -- OP is asking about losing weight. Also, OP does not say she has a health condition.

A multi vitamin is irrelevant to weight loss.

Obviously, some kind of supplementation might be relevant to health. A deficiency is an obvious example, but for others supplementing with, say, iron could be very bad for them. I take some supplements (not a multi) tailored to my diet and climate. I don't think it makes a difference to weight loss at all. (I didn't take any when losing weight and lost just fine.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So UPDATE: Since I began my health journey back in July, I began taking Optimal level supplements...I have been able to finally lose 20 lbs which I was struggling to lose. After doing research, if your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs, it will be harder to lose weight. Foods do not have the same nutrients they did many years ago...the soils are depleted and chemicals are toxic. I feel SO much better now that I have been taking supplements.

Could you share some of the sources for your research? This runs counter to my understanding of how the body processes fuel, so I'd be interested to see them.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    So UPDATE: Since I began my health journey back in July, I began taking Optimal level supplements...I have been able to finally lose 20 lbs which I was struggling to lose. After doing research, if your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs, it will be harder to lose weight. Foods do not have the same nutrients they did many years ago...the soils are depleted and chemicals are toxic. I feel SO much better now that I have been taking supplements.

I would be interested in knowing your height, current weight, activity level and the number of calories you are eating.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

According to your before and after weight-loss bloodwork, which exact nutrients were you actually deficient in that supplementing made it possible for you to finally lose the weight?
  • samanthaholze
    samanthaholze Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal, so take this with a grain of salt. I had bloodwork done after struggling hard to lose weight besides consistent healthy deficits, exercise, and a mostly clean diet. It revealed I was essentially depleted in iodine, which does effect metabolism. I have added seaweed to my diet, and in under 2 months things started to turn around.

Food is a better source of vitamins, but when food is not available or your caloric restrictions are too tight, vitamins are not completely useless. But get bloodwork done and see where you have a deficiency- do not self diagnose or you will wind up wasting money.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Anecdotal, so take this with a grain of salt. I had bloodwork done after struggling hard to lose weight besides consistent healthy deficits, exercise, and a mostly clean diet. It revealed I was essentially depleted in iodine, which does effect metabolism. I have added seaweed to my diet, and in under 2 months things started to turn around.

Food is a better source of vitamins, but when food is not available or your caloric restrictions are too tight, vitamins are not completely useless. But get bloodwork done and see where you have a deficiency- do not self diagnose or you will wind up wasting money.

Why didn't you just use iodized salt in your diet?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Why didn't you just use iodized salt in your diet?

Indeed.. That's why Mortons Et al include it. It was discovered that diets were deficient...