Whoops. Regaining and packing lunches.

Options
I had a really long streak going. Not record-setting but nearly half a year. I lost pretty much everything I wanted to lose (SW: 140, GW: 125, FW: 122). Two weddings, a ton of birthdays, and a few too many nightly cookie mini-binges later and I'm back up to 130. Some of the shorts I bought at my low weight aren't fitting well anymore.

I start fall semester tomorrow, 15 credit hours and 4 days a week. Since I'm way too broke to buy meals at school, I plan on packing. Under the assumption that I want to pack ~400-700 calories and I don't have a refrigerator (at least until outdoor temperatures are cold enough), what are some things I can bring to school? Since I don't actually have a lot to lose (5-7 lbs), should I just set my goal to maintenance and aim a hair under that number?

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I use those bento-style boxes (the cheap zip-loc ones) and pack a combo of leftovers and snack foods: crackers, cheese slices, easy to munch fruits and veggies, cured meat, nuts, etc. When I'm away from a refrigerator I just toss the whole thing in an insulated bag with an ice pack, but a lot of the stuff I eat doesn't need much refrigeration.

ETA: since you asked about calories, I usually pack around 500 calories of food.
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I take a sandwich every day. Pepper cheese, sliced deli chicken and spicy mustard on frozen bread. Mine is 410 calories. I skip the mayo. You can use an insulated lunch bag with a cold pack.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I pack salads usually, but also sandwiches or occasional leftovers that don't need reheating. I just put an ice pack in my lunch bag and all is good even on the hottest days.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Freeze a water bottle and use it as an ice pack. By the time it's melted, you'll probably be ready to eat anyways. And then you have also have a nice cold water to drink.

Just bring something balanced that you will enjoy - sandwich/wrap, breakfast burrito, rice bowl, pasta salad. And since you mentioned having too many cookie binges, why not bring something sweet that is small as a side? (two oreos, a granola bar, 100 calorie snack pack, yogurt and granola)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of using an insulated bag and a cold pack. My go-to lunch was greek yogurt, a mason jar salad, hummus, fruit - with an extra yogurt and fruit for a snack at some point - this wouldn't be as many calories as you are aiming for, but once you factor in insulated bag and cold pack, you can really bring whatever you want. Also - add a thermos for hot stuff once the weather gets cold.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I take protein/nut bars, nuts, yogurt, fruit, salad, hardboiled eggs, leftovers bc we have a microwave in most buildings, and my own coffee so I don't buy them. On sundays I meal prep. Cold packs and insulated bags are a must for sure! I pre-log it all then I see how much I have left to work with the rest of the day. I'm at uni or placement approx 40 hours a week and have lost 8lbs the last couple months! You can do it!