Food discipline

Options
2»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cjsacto wrote: »
    I have found I had to give up added sugar completely, now I don't have sweet cravings. I haven't cut out carbs, incl. fruit, just no added sugars or sugar substitutes. I did it gradually, but it's the only thing that worked for me. I understand for many that allowing yourself a small sweet treat does the trick, but if I have a little I only want MORE so I can't sick to that for long. It remains to be seen how long I'll be able to stay sugar free, but it's been a month (with a few small exceptions) and I can honestly say no cravings every night like I used to have.

Sounds like this is exactly what isn't working for OP.

OP, there's no reason you can't have sweets. Just make sure they fit into your calorie goal and you'll be fine.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    A lot of options here... like many others said, work them into your calories. Unless you're the type that can't stop at just one, or at a serving... Find the discipline, once you say "no" and move on once, the next time is easier and the next time is easier and it keeps getting easier until you just break the habit. We crave what we eat. Come up with some good alternatives that won't break the calorie bank! For example - Protein pancake: 2 egg whites, 1 scoop protein powder (any flavor you like), 1 tablespoon baking powder, a little water... spray pan with butter flavored cooking spray, make pancake, dump any of the Walden Farms syrup or chocolate sauce over it, spray it with "I can't believe it's not butter", butter... sprinkle on some PB2 or slather on a little Better N' Peanut butter. It's yummy and really all it equates too is a protein shake lol.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There's pretty much 2 choices (broad range of degrees to each) but moderation & elimination. Some can have a small treat and fit it into their daily calories, some can't. Some need to keep trigger foods completely out of the house. I'm in the category of not keeping things in the house. I tried the moderation thing, didn't work for me. Being lazy, is extremely helpful too, because no matter how badly I might want ice cream, I'm way too lazy to drive there 99.5% of the time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop that "eating healthy", and get in discipline by eating enough, in regular, balanced meals filled with a variety of foods you like, and not buying things that make you go crazy. This means that you at any time can eat anything you're able to eat in moderate amounts, but trigger foods will be reserved for special occasions. This of course presupposes that you know whether you will be satisfied with a small amount or if a small amount feels like taunting, and/or that you have, or will build, the discipline needed to not make any excuse into a special occasion.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    There's pretty much 2 choices (broad range of degrees to each) but moderation & elimination. Some can have a small treat and fit it into their daily calories, some can't. Some need to keep trigger foods completely out of the house. I'm in the category of not keeping things in the house. I tried the moderation thing, didn't work for me. Being lazy, is extremely helpful too, because no matter how badly I might want ice cream, I'm way too lazy to drive there 99.5% of the time.

this is pretty much me too.
  • KeithEberly
    KeithEberly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble hitting my goals for carbohydrates. I can stay under my other goals, calories, fats etc, but I am consistently over my daily carb load. One can only eat so many salads in a day.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    So, this will sound harsh, but I believe it's true.

In every goal ever reached, there has to be SOME sacrifice. To lose weight, you HAVE to eat less calories than you burn. No one ever said you HAD to eat healthy to accomplish that goal.

If you CAN eat anything you want and limit your portions, do it. If you CAN'T (and I know several people who had to give things up because of cravings and certain foods making them hungrier), just don't eat it. Like I said, every goal is worth a bit of sacrifice.
  • UK2ME
    UK2ME Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am another big fan of Halo Top ice cream. Sugar free Jello with either a little squirty cream or Cool Whip is a good substitute for me, and I find that a single freeze pop can be pretty effective for instant gratification.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I budget the calories for dessert every night. It's either a Quest bar or a Chobani flip Greek yogurt--both 190 calories. Their macros are good, and they both satisfy me just as much as other things that I would consider "junk" in my book.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've found that as I have been getting a more varied diet through my meals I have been craving less and less, and overindulging less as a result. I was working in a chocolate bar, cake or dessert at least once a day whereas now I'm happy not having anything some days. You just need to find what works for you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would just plan a lower calorie sweet snack for the evening.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For several months of this experience I combined fiber intake with sweet dessert by scheduling 40 g of prunes each evening. Sweet fiber.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    One of my greatest struggles is that I have basically NO DISCIPLINE when it comes to food. I can eat healthy alll day but then I get a craving for something sweet and it's like if I don't get it I'm gonna go crazy...does anyone have any tips on how to develop discipline with my food choices? It's the only thing holding me back on my weight loss since I exercise almost everyday of the week

How many calories do you generally consume prior to the craving?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Yes, I've been trying really hard to moderate (real) ice cream, and have found that while I can now stop at one serving, it just makes me hungry and so is empty calories plus more calories unless I want to go to bed hungry, which would lead me to wake up hungry and not be able to get back to sleep until I do.

It's just not worth it to me to have these types of food in the house.

I can satisfy a sweet craving with fruit or small amount of chocolate chips.
  • dominicantummy
    dominicantummy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    One of my greatest struggles is that I have basically NO DISCIPLINE when it comes to food. I can eat healthy alll day but then I get a craving for something sweet and it's like if I don't get it I'm gonna go crazy...does anyone have any tips on how to develop discipline with my food choices? It's the only thing holding me back on my weight loss since I exercise almost everyday of the week

How many calories do you generally consume prior to the craving?
    About 900-1100 my daily calorie intake is 1600