Some REAL Eating Out Advice

Options
I noticed a lot of people were disapointed in the last topic "some eating out advice" That may be because like me, they saw it and said YEA!! Finally some ideas on what to order when I go out. So,,,, I am starting a real post for that right here. Before anyone gets all in a tizzy about "health" I want to preface that this is for eating out so not necessarily the healthest choices but the lesser of the evils if you will..... Here are a few of my choices

Chick Fil A Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich (no sauces with wheat bun) with a fruit cup OR Chargrilled Chicken Garden Salad

KFC 1 chicken leg 1 small mashed potato no gravy and one biscuit

MC DOnalds premium grilled chicken sandwich Hold the Mayo, or Premium Asian Salad with grilled chicken

BurgerKing Tendergrill Chicken Garden Salad with light italian

Wendy's A small Chilli with Brocolli Potato

Sweet Treats::: KFC little bucket parfait, McDonalds Vanilla Frozen Yogurt Cone, Taco Bell Cinnamon Twist, Mcdonalds Fruit and Yogurt Parfait

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of free apps that I downloaded to my ipod touch that have nutritional content for several chain restaurants. One of them is the Jenny Craig Dining guide, the other is simply called Restaurants. The info is available offline, so I find it very handy when I have to grab something on the road to review my options first. I particularly like the fact that the Jenny Craig app lists food choices in the order of "healthiest" choices first, and least healthy choices last. Neither one lists every single menu item for every restaurant, but they are great as a general guideline. I also recommend double-checking the calories when you get home, against the restaurant's website. Again, just a guideline for when you absolutely, positively have to eat on the run.
  • auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Taco bell: anything Fresco but the fresco chicken burrito supreme is good.
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    The best advice I have heard or could give is to chose what you want before you go into a restaurant, and ask for a to-go box up front. Put half the dinner into the box, and eat your dinner. You'll be full and have a great lunch the next day!

Southwest grilled chicken salad is my favorite- McD's, Chickfil-A, anywhere!!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    These are good choices. :drinker:
    Something I do at fast food places when ordering a grilled chicken sandwich is I request mustard and pickles (practically free food) and also that they substitute the regular bun with a small bun. Some of those regular hamburger buns have a horendous amount of calories! :noway:
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    You don't have to tell me about BUNS.

I went to Zaxby's the other day and ordered a grilled chicken sandwich minus honey mustard, and I figured: Heck, how bad could it really be? I checked online and it says it's over 500 calories just between the bun and the chicken breast filet. I couldn't believe it. I was so PEEVED. You really gotta watch out these days...
  • surfbabe
    surfbabe Posts: 79
    Options
    If I ever get a fast food hamburger I always get rid of the bottom bun. They normally dont put any condiments below the meat. I feel much better about eating it when I do this.

This is what I normally get.

McD's - 10chx nuggets and apple dippers( its pretty filling) water

Subway- 6inch turkey and ham on wheat with provolone (I cant do with out cheese) veggies, mustard, vinegar and NO oil. Then an unsweetened tea.
    or
    -turkey and ham salad which is less than 150cals and oil and vinegar for the dressing lots of veggies no cheese on the salad!

Wendys- chargrilled sandwich (take off one or both buns) small fry (I'm a sucker for their fries) water

These are the only fast food places I go. If I have to have a soda I get sprite b/c clear sodas are normally caffeine free and are a lot better than dark sodas.
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    No matter what the fast food place is I feel you can't go wrong if you order a child's meal. The portion size is smaller but then you can have what you want to. Here's what i find myself ordering"

Wendy's: Small Chill, Baked Potato with low fat sour cream

McDonald's: 4 piece chicken nuggets happy meal

KFC: Laptop meal-one chicken leg mashed potatos (with gravy-I so love gravy!....)

Chinese: 1 egg roll or spring roll, egg drop soup

Mexican: Anything with shrimp (fajitas, etc.)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i always look for the thing i would likely want to make at home at a different date. this way, if i really like it, i can note what things i liked and do it at home next time.

we don't eat out very often, in fact less than twice a month, i'd say.

my boss sometimes buys lunch for me, in which case i'm not very picky, but if i'm buying i'll buy the thing with the most vegetables possible.

subway: i always get a foot long veggie with almost everything on it.
    pizza place near my house: we always get the feta & spinach pizza.
    chinese: vegetable lo mein & pot stickers (even sometimes with pork)
    seafood: lobster bisque / stuffies / clamcakes / crabcakes. any of these will do. they're all heavy, so i just get a little.

if we're out for real dining, then i ask the waitperson what they might recommend; if i'm spending the money to go out to dinner at a real restaurant, then i want the full experience of it.

i almost never eat hamburgers - not because of their meat conglomeration (you do know that there's like 100 different cows in a burger) but because i just don't really like them that often, and mostly i hate the atmosphere of fast food. it makes me kind of nauseous.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    This is much nicer than the other post. :smile: I really just can't eat out at all. Kills the whole day for me when I do. Cheers to you who can make good choices. I like cheese fries and stuff like that--grilled chicken, I can do at my house.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No matter what the fast food place is I feel you can't go wrong if you order a child's meal. The portion size is smaller but then you can have what you want to.

This is a good rule to follow when ordering fast food. The kids meals have the calorie content of an adult sized meal and the value meals have the calorie content of a family sized meal.

I like Arby's Beef and Cheddar. I don't get it often and never eat the whole sandwich.

Subway Spicy Italian with all the veggies and Brown Mustard.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have heard or could give is to chose what you want before you go into a restaurant, and ask for a to-go box up front. Put half the dinner into the box, and eat your dinner. You'll be full and have a great lunch the next day!

Southwest grilled chicken salad is my favorite- McD's, Chickfil-A, anywhere!!

I THINK THATS THE BEST ADVICE TOO. MY HUBBY AND I ALWAYS LOOK ONLINE AND FIGURE OUT WHAT WERE GONNA EAT BEFORE WE GET TO THE RESTAURANT SO THAT WE KNOW EXACTLY HOW MANY CALORIES WERE EATING BEFORE HAND=)
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't go out for food very often(2/3 times a year) but last month we went to Nando's with my sister and her family so I shared a meal with my sister (also trying to lose weight) we ordered what we wanted and split it (just ask for extra plate/cutlery) while they were happy to do this with the food, as they offer bottomless refills they wouldn't let us share a drink!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be brutally honest here.

There are NO good fast food choices. There are some acceptable ones if you keep them to a minimum but nothing I would consider a "good" choice.

That said, I'm going to give a few thoughts on what you should eat (IMHO) and what you shouldn't

1) after examining closely the menus of both MacDonalds, and KFC, I've concluded that there is literally nothing on either menu I would consider acceptable (yes, that includes the grilled food and salads).
    2) Acceptable means no buns, Wendy's chili could be worse, but don't eat the condiments and sides that come with it, and order it WITHOUT cheese. Also I find the baked potato ok as long as you don't get sour cream or cheese on it.
    3)Subway is sometimes acceptable, but be aware that even their whole wheat bun is high in sodium and can have ramifications, other than that, their turkey and black forest ham are decent options, loaded with veggies and keeping the condiments to a minimum. (this goes for any decent sub shop, rolls aren't great, but they can be acceptable if done correctly, but wraps are better usually)
    4) Sit down restaurants are a crap shoot, but here are some things to do when there.
    -Always be "That" person who asks for everything on the side.
    -Always tell them to cook with no oil or butter, be adamant about it.
    -Always replace fries or chips with veggies or a salad, it may cost a bit extra but it's worth it.
    -Don't reach for the pre-meal rolls, they're almost never a good thing.
    -If the serving is more than the size of your fist, immediately ask for a take home container, split your meal before you eat, and CLOSE UP THE CONTAINER so you aren't tempted to pick.
    -Eat slowly, give your body a chance to register how much you eat. When you are done, immediately ask the wait person to take the food away. Don't let food sit in front of you.
    -SKIP THE DESERT. Seriously, you don't need it, have coffee or tea instead.

I know these sound restrictive, but nobody said this was easy. And it CAN be done (I ate as badly as the rest of you before I started my journey). You should never have the "I deserve this" attitude, that's a cop out. Your body doesn't take a day off from being healthy, so neither should you. Mistakes and relapses are part of any strategy, but they should be planned for, not planned around.

hope this helps.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be brutally honest here.

There are NO good fast food choices. There are some acceptable ones if you keep them to a minimum but nothing I would consider a "good" choice.

That said, I'm going to give a few thoughts on what you should eat (IMHO) and what you shouldn't

1) after examining closely the menus of both MacDonalds, and KFC, I've concluded that there is literally nothing on either menu I would consider acceptable (yes, that includes the grilled food and salads).
    2) Acceptable means no buns, Wendy's chili could be worse, but don't eat the condiments and sides that come with it, and order it WITHOUT cheese. Also I find the baked potato ok as long as you don't get sour cream or cheese on it.
    3)Subway is sometimes acceptable, but be aware that even their whole wheat bun is high in sodium and can have ramifications, other than that, their turkey and black forest ham are decent options, loaded with veggies and keeping the condiments to a minimum. (this goes for any decent sub shop, rolls aren't great, but they can be acceptable if done correctly, but wraps are better usually)
    4) Sit down restaurants are a crap shoot, but here are some things to do when there.
    -Always be "That" person who asks for everything on the side.
    -Always tell them to cook with no oil or butter, be adamant about it.
    -Always replace fries or chips with veggies or a salad, it may cost a bit extra but it's worth it.
    -Don't reach for the pre-meal rolls, they're almost never a good thing.
    -If the serving is more than the size of your fist, immediately ask for a take home container, split your meal before you eat, and CLOSE UP THE CONTAINER so you aren't tempted to pick.
    -Eat slowly, give your body a chance to register how much you eat. When you are done, immediately ask the wait person to take the food away. Don't let food sit in front of you.
    -SKIP THE DESERT. Seriously, you don't need it, have coffee or tea instead.

I know these sound restrictive, but nobody said this was easy. And it CAN be done (I ate as badly as the rest of you before I started my journey). You should never have the "I deserve this" attitude, that's a cop out. Your body doesn't take a day off from being healthy, so neither should you. Mistakes and relapses are part of any strategy, but they should be planned for, not planned around.

hope this helps.
    :drinker: This just seems better for me to simply stay away from it. I feel far healthier when I do and better about myself not falling into old patterns. Besides which it can easily be a quick trigger when fast food comes up, so it's far easier if I skip it completely. Unless I plan ahead and then I do it very carefully to avoid the comfort triggers (white breads, sodium, sugary junk, well wait, that's everything on most menus isn't it:ohwell: ) so it's just easier for me to stay away from most of it.

It's not that I loved the junk food even way back, but it was comfort food, I hate to even call it that but it was what I stuffed in when I couldn't deal with life, it's like my brain stopped after a few bites and I kept eating it anyway. So I can't honestly look back and say it turned out to be much comfort after all this work to get it offa me:wink: I sure as heck don't want to give my power back over to a Fish Filet from McDonalds. :sick:

Thanks for another great one Banks:drinker: It always shows how much you care about people when you post about good foods for our body, unhealthy food and healthier ways to move our bodies. I always appreciate seeing a post from you Steve. Please don't think you're not appreciated, you are by SO many of us here on MFP!!:heart:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've gotta agree with the Banksinator's assessment.

Another good option at Subway is to get the kids meal. The sandwich is a little smaller, and you can get apples with it. I avoid McD's and KFC like the plague. If you have a Moe's nearby, they have all their nutritional info online, and a black bean taco is doable.
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Having the "not quite empty" plate removed from the table is a great idea! It's so easy to keep nibbling after you're full if the food is sitting right in front of you. And....there's always that guilty feeling of wanting to eat more because you are paying for it.:ohwell: So send that plate away.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I agree with Banks.....but the bottom line is we ALL have to go for quick and easy sometimes. I laughed when reading because I fell into the sodium trap last weekend and gained 5 pounds :laugh:

I went to Panera........love their "organic, hormone free, free range, ate nuttin but gold" chicken(makes it sound so GOOD for you, huh?). Ordered whole grain bread, put the mayo on the side and a bowl of broc/cheese soup with an apple.

shoulda just ate the apple.........lol

the sodium, and I lie not...........was over 4k for the meal!! My calories were in line for the day, no prob.........but I swelled up like a water balloon. So not worth it for me at this stage.
  • ktcarr82
    ktcarr82 Posts: 18
    Options
    A great website to look up most restaurants is:

www.dwlz.com

It stands for Dottie's Weight Loss Zone. It is an awesome website if you have never been on it. On the right side of the screen you can scroll down to restaurants and pick the one you want to look up.
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    bump 4 later!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Because I can't eat gluten, it makes it a lot easier to go out to eat because most of the menu is off limits. No rolls, anything friend, cake, brownies (or pretty much any desserts), sandwiches, etc. Last night I joined some friends at Chili's and had a cup of green chili chicken soup and a side salad with no croutons and balsamic vinegar. I think it was probably the best choice I could have made :smile: But, in general I agree that about 99% of choices when you eat out are terrible, unfortunately :ohwell: