Weight watchers

Options
Does anyone here combine weight watchers with MPF?

I used to do WW YEARS ago, and I believe it's all changed since I was there last.

I've been on here 4 years, and after losing a bunch of weight I did some nutritionist qualifications (just to entertain myself on the commute mainly), so I know what to do. But, I've gained a lot again (purely through indulging, I know what I've done to myself) and really want to get back on the wagon again.

This time, I'm finding it hard to motivate myself and though that a weekly class where I have to show face and get weighed in person might help give me more focus, but I've heard so many people complain about WW that I'm not sure if I'll just be wasting my time/money.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Mccloud74
    Mccloud74 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I use MFP and go to weekly WW meetings. I find that the weekly weigh-in keeps me accountable.
    I don't use WW online though as it's more cost and I figure that as long as I stay within MFP levels then I'm hitting the WW targets.

You need to do what works for you, public shaming is a great motivator for me haha
  • farmgirlco
    farmgirlco Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here combine weight watchers with MPF?

I used to do WW YEARS ago, and I believe it's all changed since I was there last.

I've been on here 4 years, and after losing a bunch of weight I did some nutritionist qualifications (just to entertain myself on the commute mainly), so I know what to do. But, I've gained a lot again (purely through indulging, I know what I've done to myself) and really want to get back on the wagon again.

This time, I'm finding it hard to motivate myself and though that a weekly class where I have to show face and get weighed in person might help give me more focus, but I've heard so many people complain about WW that I'm not sure if I'll just be wasting my time/money.

Thoughts?

I just left the new WW program. The program years ago helped me lose over 90 lbs. had some tough times, gained a few back, joined to take care of it, and GAINED because the point values are so out of whack now. 4 points for a fiber one brownie, 25 points for a piece of cake!! I was STARVING. I know cake every day isn't right and that's not my point. Anything that "serial snackers" like me like to eat were SO high in points it was unbearable.
  • terryh82
    terryh82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I found WW online very silly and MFP is far easier to track calories! My main issue was getting used to how they worked out points for food. Something that is low in calories that would not take my over my daily calorie count would be 10-15 points on WW. I also found it difficult to plan my meals with WW as again not knowing what points value food had, I ended giving up. Plus, to use the WW mobile app is expensive, compared to MFP is free, even the premium features is less. I
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I keep hearing this theme that the points are crazy high for some things, and hard to work out. It wasn't like that when I went, it was points, but you could pretty much work them out based on rough calories. I've heard some people say it's fab, and others say that they struggled to lose - or gain too! Madness....

I have no problem knowing what I SHOULD be eating, but frankly I'm just not doing it. It's a shame MFP doesn't have a weekly weigh in group locally. Maybe I should start one.... :)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I tried to combine the 2 for a while... I bounced back and forth.... lost all momentum and gained 8 lbs. I became completely inconsistent in logging here and on WW because the 2 plans just don't line up. That was all my fault. I lost 60 lbs on an old Points plan. I lost close to 20 on MFP. I don't know why I switched back. Both work, just not well together IMHO. My experience, YMMV.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Would joining an MFP challenge help? You aren't weighing in with people or have people physically there, but you have to be the one that checks in every weigh in day and reports your loss. It surprisingly keeps you "motivated" because you don't want to fail. Everyone in that challenge will see.

I started again July 31st really being serious about getting 12-15lbs off that I gained by being a sloth with a mad over eating habit the previous winter. The month of August I had a goal of a loss of 5lbs. I beat it and lose 7.5lbs. I did this JUST by eating less. I didn't do any exercise other that dog walks. And maybe some Pokemon Go walks here and there. The month of September I have a goal of 4.4lbs (to get to 150) and adding in circuit training or weights 3-4 days a week. The month of October I'll start slowly adjust to maintainance, then I'll go away in November (Cancun, a week in a bathing suit) feeling amazing and in control.

Having little goals each month really help keep things interesting. And MFP challenges may help you to keep coming back. But honestly, when it starts working (the calories in/calories out thing) you'll WANT to keep coming back. Because it's pretty easy and it works.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I keep hearing this theme that the points are crazy high for some things, and hard to work out. It wasn't like that when I went, it was points, but you could pretty much work them out based on rough calories. I've heard some people say it's fab, and others say that they struggled to lose - or gain too! Madness....

I have no problem knowing what I SHOULD be eating, but frankly I'm just not doing it. It's a shame MFP doesn't have a weekly weigh in group locally. Maybe I should start one.... :)

You could do it as a blog?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    There are multiple weight in groups or challenge groups that pop up from time to time. And it easy to start your own accountability thread!

Weight watchers is trying to "educate you" that certain foods are bad by assigning outrageously high points to them. Similar foods that are made by them or partners are magically "better" and have less points.

This is actually somewhat useful if you've never considered that eating cake or twinkies has the potential of leading you over-eat your calories, and by assigning to them a super high value they will stop you from eating them.

For someone like me this would back-fire epically as I prefer to make my own decisions.

MFP allows me to see (within limits) what my decisions are costing me and I can continue banging my head any which way I want.

There is a lot of truth in @kommodevaran 's comment above!
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I left WW a few months ago. I love my natural fats, so I knew full fat items would be higher in points, but I'd still get enough to eat over all. That was not the case. In order to hit my calorie goal each day, I'd need 45-50 points, I was only given 30. A glass of whole milk, which is (I think) 50 Cal's higher than skim, was (again....I think) 4-5 points higher. That was essentially half a meal for one cup of milk. So I was constantly hungry trying to fit my happy fats into the plan. If you're ok going no/low fat and no sugar, it's great. I'm not though
  • MissionPossible2018
    Options
    I recently canceled my WW subscription again. I keep rejoining every now and then in the hopes of getting the hang of it, but I just can't stick to it. It's too restrictive.
  • JenniferOBX14
    JenniferOBX14 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love the support aspect of WW. But I don't like the playing around with numbers and eating frankenfood/foods I don't like because a yogurt with artificial sweeteners is 2 points and one without is 5 points although they are less than 50 calories difference.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've done a few of the different variations of WW points systems over the years. I'm betting they've adjusted their points to a more complex, proprietary algorithm in order to make it less translatable to calories/macro grams so it keeps people using their system.

OP, consider making some friends on MFP/participating in some challenges for accountability. When others can view your diary, perhaps you'll feel more accountable to your daily goals.
  • Kramerkid50
    Kramerkid50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I left WW in November never intending to come. At first I did really well with mfp but I realized in May that I missed the accountability of weekly weigh in so read joined in May. I still use MFP as it still has a better database for restaurants and weight watchers and then I just convert the nutrition counts to points. I was down 14 pounds but regained some. I'm moving downward again and have lost 8.4 since returning and a total of 22.

I'm doing the program differently this time. I'm not buying any food products or snack items. I don't believe their products are healthy and they started becoming a problem. I'm committed to weight watchers till the end of November. I want to be back to that 14 pounds lost by then.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you know how to make good food choices to keep you healthy (micros) and fuel your body (macros), then the only thing you're getting out of WW is an invoice to use someone else's scale. Join a group/challenge here. Post about your stuff on Facebook. I just don't think you'll get good enough value out of WW to make it worth it.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    WW is a viable program but I am a calorie counter thanks to MFP. I am a serial eater and eat many food items over and over so food logging is easy. When I make cooked food and put up batches for future use the recipe builder is great to use and easy.