Coffee...my best friend and enemy

So I have a coffee addiction. More like a overly sugared sweetened dessert-like coffee addiction. I don't drink it black.

If I give it up. I will stop moving and talking. Lol. Plus, the headaches.

But I can't lose weight drinking dessert every morning.

Coffee lovers- what do you do? Do you give up the goods or alter or what?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Yeah, I used to be you. Whipped cream on top of my mocha latte every day.

It's more important to me to be at a good weight. At 220 pounds, some things had to go.

I slowly reduced, I tried different things. Today I drink two cups a day with three ounces of 1% milk. I know that sounds boring considering where you are right now, but some things will have to change if you want weight loss.

I didn't like it either. :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    amayla0407 wrote: »
    So I have a coffee addiction. More like a overly sugared sweetened dessert-like coffee addiction. I don't drink it black.

If I give it up. I will stop moving and talking. Lol. Plus, the headaches.

But I can't lose weight drinking dessert every morning.

Coffee lovers- what do you do? Do you give up the goods or alter or what?

fit 'dessert' into your calories, or get used to it black...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Try a small amount of a flavored creamer (or chocolate milk) and a packet of sugar or a flavored coffee with a dash of milk and sugar. Or a scoop of protein powder, if you have any. When I want caffeine without calories (because I can't do black coffee *gags*), I take a caffeine pill with water...they're super cheap at walmart and you can break them in half if you're not into 200mg at once.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    I'd suggest getting used to black. It's just one less thing you have to worry about.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    I was the same sweet creamer and sugar.. switched to 2% milk took awhile to get use to. Then I measured how much milk I was using per glass ... 90 per glass.. I want food more than coffee.. switched to 1% and the amount.. couple months later went to fat free couldn't tell the difference and am at 80 kcals a day for coffee.

Before my weight loss journey, I also was eating around 800 kcals a day of ketchup, mayo, and other condiments..
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    I use Almond Milk and Jordan's Skinny Syrup 0 calorie to sweeten mine and I only have 1 a day.

The syrup comes in different flavors and tastes amazing!
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    I was in the same boat as you! I used to "free pour" my creamer into my coffee every day and when I realized just how much was going in and how many calories it was... wow. I knew I had to cut back.

I started keeping measuring spoons next to my coffee pot at home. In the mornings I still splurge and have 1-2T of creamer, but I ALWAYS measure it and log it. When I first started I was at 4T and gradually worked it down. At work I drink coffee with half a packet of Splenda and some powdered creamer. Not as good, but it gets me by!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    A high quality coffee makes all the difference. I went from dumping flavored creamers in, to now drinking it black with 1/2 pkt of splenda. I buy high quality beans and grind them myself. Cost wise it's about the same because while I'm now spending $10-$12 on a bag, I no longer have to buy creamer, which was $3 or more a week.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    That's me. Well, today I got a black coffee and added skim milk and 4 packs of cane sugar. Boy was it different lol. But not bad. It's a start.

That's a great start! One day I forgot to put my creamer in my cup before I left the house and drank it black and realized I didn't mind it at all. Once I started drinking it black though I really became aware of the difference a really good coffee makes.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I work half and half into my calories. Totally worth it. Try adding Splenda and mixing creamer with milk.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I love coffee. I use sugar free vanilla creamer and keep a tablespoon measuring tool at work and only use 1 or 2 in a cup. I won't give that up, and make it fit within my calories each day.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    That's me. Well, today I got a black coffee and added skim milk and 4 packs of cane sugar. Boy was it different lol. But not bad. It's a start.

If you start replacing the sugar with an artificial sweetener, you could save some calories. I do skim milk as well.
    You could also try a low-fat chocolate milk and skip the sugar/sweetener altogether.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If switching to black isn't an option, I would find an artificial sweetener that you like. That alone would save you 60 calories (assuming each pack of sugar is about 15 calories). Then you would just have to account for the calories in the milk.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Good quality coffee and foamed milk - either 2% or unsweetened vanilla almond milk - cinnamon and shaved dark chocolate. Fancy dessert coffee, less than fifty calories. If you don't have a machine with a foam attachment, you can supposedly make foamed milk with a mason jar and a microwave.
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    i just make 2 tablespoons of creamer fit. it's 70 calories
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I weaned myself off the creamer (free pour to 1 Tbsp to black). You could try using liquid protein shakes (Premier protein caramel was pretty good) in place of creamer. I now just prefer black.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I use a quarter of a serving of Ovaltine chocolate malt powder and a quarter cup of 2% milk - 40 cals per cup of yummy caffeine life :drinker:
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    I don't know what I would do if I couldn't have my coffee with a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's even Whole30 friendly!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    I use chocolate almond milk or chocolate syrup & regular almond milk. I make myself an iced coffee every morning and it is about 50-80 cals.
    To make the iced coffee part 1 1/2C coffee grounds 4C Water let sit for 12 hours strain the grounds out and you have concentrated coffee I use about 1/4 C of the coffee and 1/2 chocolate almond milk add ice and it is so good!