What do you consider to be the best frozen connivence meal you have tried?

Options
I am a single guy and don't cook much, so I have ran the gamut of meals from most of the major suppliers (Smart One's, Healthy Choice, Stouffer's, Evol, etc.).

For me, Evol's Chipotle Mac and Cheese is pretty high up there. It's delicious. Boston Market's Loaded Potato and Country fried steak trays are also delish. Rounding out the list for me is from Stouffer's Fit Kitchen line, the pork carnitas bowl.

Is there anything you have tried which rocked your socks that I should add to the arsenal?

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites for years (and it actually keeps me pretty full which most frozen meals don't do) is Lean Cuisine Santa Fe Beans and Rice. (I think WW does a version too.)

I keep a couple in the freezer.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like Evol's Fire Grilled Steak Bowl and Lean Cuisine's Marketplace Vermont Cheddar Mac and Cheese. I keep a couple on hand for lazy days. I will need to try the Evol Mac and Cheese that you liked.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    all of the Lean Cuisine Marketplace ones I've had are really good in a pinch. My freezer stacks exactly 7 of them high, and I usually keep 7 in there, refreshing based on how many I've eating since my last grocery buy. I don't eat them nearly as often anymore though. The tortilla crusted fish is probably my favorite.

All of the Evol Mac & Cheese varieties are awesome, if higher calorie than I like in a frozen meal. The black truffle one is decadent. I used to eat a lot of Evol meals, I have nearly enough points stashed to get the Evol hoodie.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I am really limited in what I can have since I have celiac disease. I'm also a vegetarian.

Once upon a time, Trader Joe's frozen palak paneer was gluten free. That was amazing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites for years (and it actually keeps me pretty full which most frozen meals don't do) is Lean Cuisine Santa Fe Beans and Rice. (I think WW does a version too.)

I alternated between this one and the Lean Cuisine Enchiladas Suiza for years. Both really good.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I have seen this at the store and it must be popular as it is stocked 2 rows deep. It seems I must now give it a try.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine Vermont White Cheddar Mac n Cheese, with 1 bag of California blend veggies (steamer bag), and 1 can of chicken. Mixed together with Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet n' Sour sauce. I could eat this combo every day, no regrets lol.

Whoa, that sounds pretty good :smile:
  • jdlobb
    Options
    the Vermont White Cheddar Mac n Cheese is really good. A throw a 3oz serving of Tyson Grilled Chicken Nuggets in to add some protein.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    Oh, that reminds me. As far as frozen convenience meals go, nothing else quite matches the nutrition/convenience factor of Tyson frozen grilled chicken. Breasts or nuggets. My freezer is never without a bag of each.
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love the Red's Natural frozen burritos. My favorite is the braised chicken w/ quinoa and sweet potato.

http://www.redsallnatural.com/products/snack/braised.php#main
  • JustRobby1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lean Cuisine Vermont White Cheddar Mac n Cheese, with 1 bag of California blend veggies (steamer bag), and 1 can of chicken. Mixed together with Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet n' Sour sauce. I could eat this combo every day, no regrets lol.

I have not tried this, though I have tried the version made by 'Eating Well' which is quite good. Ironically enough it's the one I brought to work to have for lunch today. It is one of those trays that inflates as it steams in the microwave. A pic I found of it is below.

9el00lceb255.jpg
  • itsfuntobedevilinabluedress
    Options
    I am currently eating a Healthy Choice Korean Beef Power Bowl. Pretty good stuff.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    OP, have you tried Evol's Truffle Parmesan Mac and Cheese? It's my favorite.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is Jimmy Dean breakfast bowls in Sausage and Gravy. $1.75, 300 calories. It's delicious.

I like most Lean Cuisine. I love the butternut squash ravioli. I add some steamed edamame to up the protein.

Marie Calendar had some really good options, but I don't have them often due to the sodium content.

Amy's Organics enchiladas are great. I also like Trader Joe's paneer tikka masala.
  • JustRobby1
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    OP, have you tried Evol's Truffle Parmesan Mac and Cheese? It's my favorite.

I have, and it's delicious, but the grocery store closest to me does not carry that variety unfortunately. The Walmart that is closest to me does however, but I only make the trek there about once a month. Since I do not have a deep freeze, I have to be strategic about what I buy because of limited freezer space.

• jdlobb
    Options
    Amazon Fresh has a good selection of Evol meals if that's an option for you. They're also cheaper there than at any grocery store I've been in. $3.49 for the aforementioned truffle mac n cheese right now. I think it's $5 or $6 at the Tom Thumb by me.
  • JustRobby1
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Amazon Fresh has a good selection of Evol meals if that's an option for you. They're also cheaper there than at any grocery store I've been in. $3.49 for the aforementioned truffle mac n cheese right now. I think it's $5 or $6 at the Tom Thumb by me.

I always see offers popping up for Amazon Fresh in my feed when I am browsing the site but I have never investigated it further. Now it sounds as though I should. Peapod is the other big provider here in the Chicago market that delivers. I guess part of the reason I have avoided these is that since I live a densely urban existence and walk almost everywhere, going to the store gives me another excuse to get my step count up.

• jdlobb
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »

I always see offers popping up for Amazon Fresh in my feed when I am browsing the site but I have never investigated it further. Now it sounds as though I should. Peapod is the other big provider here in the Chicago market that delivers. I guess part of the reason I have avoided these is that since I live a densely urban existence and walk almost everywhere, going to the store gives me another excuse to get my step count up.

they carry Whole Foods products now too, as of like, today.

I've been using Amazon Fresh for a few months now, and I love it. The best part is thinking of food I want on my way to work, ordering it in the morning, and finding it waiting for me at my doorstep when I get home.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Since we're talking convenience and not calorie content - order a pizza and freeze your leftovers as individual servings wrapped in tin foil. Reheat for ~10 minutes in a 375F degree oven or in a covered skillet on the stovetop.

Pizza and other bread-based products defrosts/reheats amazingly well. Too bad pizza is the devil.