Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Now carbs are bad and fat is good

2»

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,725 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really like NutritionWonk and her reaction was worth reading.

Thanks for those links, AlabasterVerve.

I continue to think that beyond getting adequate protein, some fat, not overeating, and having an overall nutrient dense diet, macros don't matter much. They matter more (for some) when food is abundant because for some of us they might affect how much we eat when not logging.

I just finished reading that Nutrition Wonk piece and I found it really helpful in putting this study in context.

Same here. Shocking that media science reporting misses the finer points of things.

@GottaBurnEmAll - thanks for the chuckle.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    carbs are good, they are my fuel to burn 1000 a day.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    OH MY GOD. BALANCED DIET, YES. EVERYTHING ELSE, NO.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Yeah, wonder what's the next bad food/macro/component is going to be. It could be something completely unexpected or maybe something half the population has never heard of (like who would have guessed gluten would get its time in the naughty chair). There's always tilting at windmills when it comes to nutrition and lately I'm just tired of all of it that I don't even want to engage. Kudos to those who don't get drained easily.

Edited: because as usual, my brain moves faster than my typing fingers and words keep going missing somehow.

I'm hoping for kale to be the next thing. Hopefully my bf will quit trying to make me drink her disgusting kale smoothies. (Kale, onion, garlic & lemon.. ugh)
  • buffgrl
    buffgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Different diets work for different people depending on genetics and lifestyle. Carbs aren't necessarily bad and some people can still get lean on a higher carb diet. Take me for example- leaning out while eating 200-300 carbs per day, while going a bit lower on the fat and moderate protein. (not LOW fat, but low-er fat, it's controlled) I have abs and cuts now! How was I able to eat all these carbs and still get lean? 1.)I lift weights very intensely (heavy weights) 4 days a week and go for long trail runs on Sundays 2.)My genetics- without carbs I my immune system and energy levels suffer, can't sleep, etc. 3.)And most importantly...I keep my OVERALL CALORIES within a certain range 6 days per week. But what works for me might not work for you! Some people really do best and feel best on a low-carb high-fat diet, or something in between! With weight loss, there's more than one way to get there, each as individual as you are! When you find the right balance for yourself you will: 1.)Lose weight 2.)Feel good and have energy for your workouts and life in general. 3.)Glow with health! Find something that you can maintain as a lifestyle, not just a quick fix. Good luck!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

That's awesome.

I'd just like to add that the PURE study produced many, many more recommendations for global health that did not focus on carbs or macros.

http://www.phri.ca/pure/pure-study-publications/

It's disappointing that such a wide-ranging study only gains traction due to the media's neophilia and the current keto fad / carb-bashing.