I’m really confused and discouraged... Please help!

Options
I’m really confused and discouraged.

Currently I own 2 pairs of pants (one from target and another that I got at Marshalls). Both sizes are 18W.

I need shorts for an upcoming vacation but I cant seem to find any. I found a few online shops that have some cute styles but I hate returning things online so I took my measurements to make sure I was getting the correct size…

My measurements are:

Bust: 47”
Hips: 55”
Waist: 43”

According to that, all the websites (even target.com!) says I should be a size 28W!?!?!

What do I do..Did I do this wrong?

I dont know if this helps but my current weight is 245 and my height is 5'5"

Please help!!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sizing can be really random. The best thing I can tell you is to go to the store and try on the pants. I'm the smallest I've ever been and I still can't order pants online because of the variation. At Old Navy I'm a 2. At Kohl's I'm a six. At several other shops I'm a 4.
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry I can't help, I'm in the UK and our sizing is different, but I wanted to send hugs and good thoughts - I've been trying to shop for clothes recently, and found it really emotive. Hope it works out and you have a great holiday xxx
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking for shorts at thrift stores? I've had the best luck there for clothing and a bonus is that it's super cheap! Are there any plus sized stores around you?

I personally hate buying clothing and would never trust buying any online. Are you sure you measured yourself correctly? If a store has an online clothing shop they should give you specific directions on where exactly to measure to ensure you are measuring correctly for how their clothing fits. The stupid thing with clothing is each brand, cut, make and store are different which makes it super hard to buy women's clothing.

I would imagine the 28W size you got is wrong unless they size their clothing differently.

If you can, check any thrift stores around you.. plus sized stores.. walmart... etc. Clothing shopping sucks especially when it's hard to find something that fits and looks nice. Depending on the style of shorts you like I've had luck with men's shorts when I was closer to your size. You can get some that don't look like men's shorts and you can dress them up really nice with some jewelry and a nice top and shoes.

Don't get discouraged or upset at sizing. It's hard and women's sizes are brutal! I recently went clothing shopping and found tons of great tops however when it comes down to pants I have to spend hours trying them on since I can range between 13 - 17, 32-36 and 10-18 depending on the style, brand, store, cut, etc. It sucks! Right now I'm wearing a size 14 in Old Navy that are snug. I have a pair of 16s from Old Navy that won't do up. I have a 12 from Walmart that is way too big. I wish women's sizes were a bit more like men's.
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    PS I agree with ILiftHeavy, I own everything from a size 10uk to a size 16uk and they all fit!
  • chancock6
    chancock6 Posts: 87
    Options
    I would not order anything online. Just go into a store and buy some. That way you can try them on and make sure they fit, make sure they look good, and you're satisfied with them. Different brands have different sizing, and you never know what you'll be able to fit into at some stores. My suggestion is you avoid buying clothing online.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    It's always a gamble!!!! I bought a dress from avenue.com a few months ago. They usually run big from my experience buying things in the store. So I thought that I needed to get it a size smaller (16W)....when I took my measurements and compared it to the sizing chart....it deemed me to be an 18W. Well I ordered the 18W....got it in the mail and realized I should have went with my first mind!!!!!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that manufacturers differ in sizing from one to the other. For example, I find that a size large fits me at Old Navy but not at Forever 21.

If all else fails, why not cut off one of your pairs of pants that fit and make a nice pair of shorts out of them? :smile:
  • wannabfitnevarez
    wannabfitnevarez Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hmmmm that is a tough question. i do not buy clothes or shoes online myself because clothes would fit my waist but would not go beyond my booty. plus i had foot surgery and shoes i have to try on in order to feel if they fit correctly. do the web sites ask you for weight and height? or just measurements ? if you fit into a size 18 w according to your pants you have at home. a lot of it has to do with the material that your clothes are made of, is it stretchy and has give or not. i think 28w would be too big. i would go with 18w. i do not understand either how they are measuring that online. i would maybe go to someone who knows how to take measurements a little better , maybe a person at victorias secrets they measure your bra size i am sure they would measure hips and waist for you just so you can have a second opinion or maybe ask them is you are doing it properly. its a start. sorry if this didnt help you much. it is a hard question to answer.
  • NicolexJones
    Options
    I'm going to ask a dumb question....what about buying maternity because their stretchy?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring? Bust should be around the largest part of your bust. Waist should be around the smallest part of your waist, which is above your belly button. Hips should be around the fullest part of your butt.

Still though, it's best to always try things on. I only buy things online that I already have and know will fit.
  • stephiesmit
    Options
    It is so frustrating. It's like having the friend that weighs the same amount as you but wears 2 sizes smaller. Sizing measurements do not know if you tummy is flat or not. Point being that they make assumptions based on you waist measurements. If you are ordering a brand that you have worn (know how the fit) go with the size that fits. If you're not accustom to the brand order a couple of sizes just to cover your bases. Don't beat yourself up if you end up having to wear a bigger size than you usually do, its just the brand. Hope it helps. Good luck.:smile:
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sears has a nice selection of shorts, they are not toooo short (Laura Ashley brand) in womens sizes. You can try on and then order with free shipping if they don't have your exact size or color in stock. Kohls will do the same. I used to weigh 340 lbs and wore size 28 -30W. At 240lb I wore size 20-22. Sizes vary from brand to brand. At 135 I still vary from size 6 to 8.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    For shorts, sizes vary by brand, and by store - which is why trying on is key. If you order online, try to do so from a place that does free shipping or free returns (like Zappos)

Old Navy: Size 22 w43/h53
    Lands End: Size 20W w43/50, size 22W w44/h52
    ModCloth: Size 3X 43/h55
    ASOS Curve: Size 20 w43.4/h53.5 Size 22 w46/H56

Body shapes vary, and you are not the only one to noctice that finding a custom fit is next to impossible (at every size) -- best you can do is try on a lot of different brands and hope to find one that is a consistenly good fit -- regardles of what size it says. The number on clothing means less than how you feel and look wearing the garment!
  • NicolexJones
    Options
    This is the exact reason that I love the MFP community--I was seriously panicking but I feel so much better now
  • scotvalkyrie
    scotvalkyrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Clothing size numbers hardly mean anything anymore. Back in the day, Marilyn Monroe wore a size 10, and her clothing measured to today's size 16. I have actually had very good luck with onestopplus.com. They have decent clothing and a lot of pull-on elastic waist shorts in a variety of prices and fabrics. The full elastic waist seems to work best with my (relatively) smaller waist while covering my bubble butt and poochy tummy. A lot of times I can google "onestopplus coupon code" and get a free shipping/free returns coupon code. Woman Within and Roaman's coupon codes also work for One Stop Plus because it's all the same company.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to say- when you take into account body shapes and then the variance in the sizes themselves, God, I'm not sure I would order online. Based on your stats, I would definitely say you're smaller than a size 28W. Maybe closer to a 20-22? I am 179 and 5'4 and I think I'm in a size 16, maybe 14, depending on the clothes (most of my stuff is size 18, but is loose on me). Good luck- I would not buy anything online unless you're willing to jump through the hoops to return it.