Holding handles while using treadmill or other cardio machines...

Options
2»

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    i also use the handles. Do people run with their arms down at their sides???!!

Is that how you'd run on the sidewalk? With your arms straight down? I'd hope not. You move your arms back and forth, probably bent at about 90 degrees.

(This place is so weird sometimes.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    Relser wrote: »
    i also use the handles. Do people run with their arms down at their sides???!!

Is that how you'd run on the sidewalk? With your arms straight down? I'd hope not. You move your arms back and forth, probably bent at about 90 degrees.

(This place is so weird sometimes.)

This was funny! :laugh:

I usually use high incline on the treadmill and I only hold the handles to check the sensors and make sure they coincide with what my fitness watch is saying.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If the handles are stationary you won't get the same benefit as if you are moving your arms. But if the handles are moving or even better if you have to pull/push them, you could get more benefit from holding them.

But holding handles or not you are still doing more than sitting on the couch. Do what you need to do to be safe.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I use the ARC Trainer with movable handles and I hold to them all the time, specially when I am accelerating. Dumb or not, I don't care. I don't use the treadmill anymore because my knees don't like it, and I never used the stairmaster for the same reason.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Treadmill: no. Especially incline and leaning back. You'll be burning significantly less than not holding on/leaning back.
    Bike, elliptical: Ok.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Stairmaster handles should not be touched unless you climb double steps or taking a brief 3 to 5 second touch to catch a break.
    Why? Dependent on the "touch", it's fine to use them for balance. I do interval training on the Stepmill occasionally. Trust when I tell you that the handles are great to have when doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    There are actually 2 types of ellipticals -- one w/moving arms and one w/o. You can grip the stationary handles on the one w/the moving arms if you like but you arguably get a better workout if you move your arms and legs together. Not sure how much "better" that work out would be, since all of the work is still down w/the legs; the arms just move in place and don't contribute to the work done.

I think that depends on how you do it. When I was using the elliptical regularly (I switched to running 6 months ago), I would push and pull on the moving handles with my arms, especially when I used higher resistance settings. I upped the resistance settings every few weeks and my arms and shoulders were just as sore as my legs were the next day.

An elliptical can give you a total body workout by using the handles if you do it right. No reason not to hold the handles unless you are also working on balance, or don't want/need to work your arms.