Nutrition daily targets ????

Hi!

I'm new to all this, so I can understand the calorie tracking etc. However the daily nutrition targets I don't understand. Is the targets set, the generic recommended levels for everyone? If I'm not reaching these by my diet should I consider supplements. I'm low on potassium based on my levels from the app should I consider getting supplements for this . I don't see how eating more bananas can get me to reach my daily target.

I'm low on calcium and iron too but will look at my diet for calcium and supplements for iron.

Cheers!

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Not all the micronutrients are filled out on the database entries. Potassium is a big one for that. I hardly ever even see it on a food label to put it in. Also other than a multivitamin i wouldnt supplement for individual things like iron without speaking with your doctor. If you dont need it at best you will be peeing it out and at worst you can cause some damage to yourself.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    ktekc wrote: »
    Not all the micronutrients are filled out on the database entries. Potassium is a big one for that. I hardly ever even see it on a food label to put it in. Also other than a multivitamin i wouldnt supplement for individual things like iron without speaking with your doctor. If you dont need it at best you will be peeing it out and at worst you can cause some damage to yourself.

This. Not all the micronutrients are required on food labels, and the database is user-created and some of those may be omitted. Unless your doctor has specifically said you're deficient in something, you're probably fine.
  • beckymoorebecca
    beckymoorebecca Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you for the advice, I get it now. Cheers!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    If you are concerned about a deficiency, blood testing is the best way to see if you are actually missing out on enough nutrients to make a difference.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    The only micro-nutrient I really keep my eye on is the sodium intake. All of the others equal out by the end of the week if you're eating a balanced diet.