Do you trust nutritional information ?

Options
Do you guys actually trust nutritional labels on packets etc? Or do you listen to your body and just stop eating when you are full? Asking this because sometimes companies change the nutritional values of their products . So Can we really be accurate with counting calories?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I weigh my food on a digital food scale, eat the calories MFP gives me, eat most (but not all) of my exercise calories, I lose as expected over the course of a month.

This for me and I don't weigh packaged items for the most part (chips and small things that multiples make up a serving are exceptions). They have a margin of error but they can't be way off legally. And certainly not on so many items you are eating regularly to make an impact.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Packaged items tend to have accurate calorie counts when they are presented in grams. I have found since weighing food that it is less reliable when measured by item, as some prepackaged items are heavier/lighter than their listed package weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Do you guys actually trust nutritional labels on packets etc? Or do you listen to your body and just stop eating when you are full? Asking this because sometimes companies change the nutritional values of their products . So Can we really be accurate with counting calories?

I honestly don't understand what one--trusting nutritional information on food labels, has to do with the other--eating intuitively.

I was thinking the same thing. The question doesn't make sense to me.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I call them as I see them... they are guidelines.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I just remembered something. Back in the '80's there was a cereal called Almond Delight and I ate it almost every day on my diet because it was sweet and a cup was only something like 110 calories. I sometimes ate it twice a day because I wanted something sweet and 110 calories was great! I lost very slowly on that diet and plateaued for weeks and finally gave up. A few years later, I checked the label again and it was 225 calories per cup. It probably was always 225 per cup and that's one of the reasons I couldn't lose.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I tend to trust the MFP food entries that correspond to the packet nutritional information. I always check if I'm scanning in a new food. (The calories, and the protein, at least.)

If I'm searching by text in the MFP database, I look for individual ingredients and entries that have "USDA" in the title, and make sure there are a few with the same calorie count before I choose one.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think I've been (re)learning how to trust my body by relying largely on nutritional labels for the last year or so. As others have said, there are no certainties in this wacky calorie game, but once you've been tracking weight-loss-to-calorie-intake for a while, the patterns get pretty clear. I generally trust nutritional labels by weight, but not by portion: six triscuits is never x grams, for example, but I'm fine assuming that x grams of triscuits is y calories. I am most sceptical of restaurant nutritional information again primarily because of variance in portion size, and have gotten fairly good at getting a sense of if I need to round up given how full I feel after eating.

I feel comfortable saying that I will likely stop counting once I've moved into maintenance, but I place no judgment on people who need or want to continue. I eat very few highly processed foods, and I think those are the hardest for most of us to "intuitively" judge portion size. And of course, every person is different. I try not to worry about what works for other people, just worry about myself.