Kale gave me a headache?

Options
For 3 days my muscles ached, my bones seemed to hurt, and I had a raging headache. I bought a bag of organic raw kale at Costco. I started weighing 50grams of kale and adding it to a green drink in my ninja. Along with a 5oz of coconut water and blueberries, water.
It looks like raw kale is a goitrogenic. It can inhibit the uptake of iodine by the thyroid gland. Can cause hypothyroidism. Raw kale is also high in oxalic acid. Which binds to minerals and can cause them to crystallize. The crystals can cause inflammation in the body.

No one told me this. And I wanted to pass it on. The site said to cook kale first for 7 minutes.
Here is one of the sites I read about kale headaches: https://deliciouslyorganic.net/green-smoothie-recipe/
Anyone else ever have these? Tell me your experience. I still have my headache today (I stopped yesterday). Hopefully it will go away soon.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Adding a question: The frozen kale from walmart never did this to me. Could the frozen stuff be alreday pre-cooked/pre-steamed?
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    one more reason why kale isn't really food
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Adding a question: The frozen kale from walmart never did this to me. Could the frozen stuff be alreday pre-cooked/pre-steamed?

It would probably have been blanched before freezing. http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2009/06/12/how-to-blanch-and-freeze-kale/
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I think you'd need more than 150g kale over 3 days to have that effect. I cant see anything about headaches in that link?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Options
    I just found a site that says that kale needs to be lightly steamed. But I have bought kale raw at walmart right off the produce shelf with no problems. Is that stuff lightly steamed?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I just found a site that says that kale needs to be lightly steamed. But I have bought kale raw at walmart right off the produce shelf with no problems. Is that stuff lightly steamed?

Doubt it. I say the kale has nothing to do with your symptoms.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Options
    I am mistaken. But I did think high inflammation in the body could cause headaches. If your body aches all over, why not your head also?
    I will try to figure out what else has been causing this. My husband did spray bugstop in the home due to ants. I wonder if this could be the cause of my pain all over.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you're eating raw kale from the produce section with no problems (and the kale in the produce section is raw), then it's not the bagged kale that is causing an issue. They're the same thing.

Some people may need to limit their intake of raw kale due to medical issues, but it doesn't inherently cause problems with moderate consumption. I had raw kale salad for dinner last night, no issues.

Inhaling too much bug spray, on the other hand, makes me feel terrible.