MFP calories and exercise calories HELP!

Options
I am trying to reach my goal weight but i think i plateaued. MFP has me at 1870 calories a day to eat, however i burn 1000 calories between the cardio machines a hit for a good amount of time at the gym. Do i eat the whole 1000 calories back? Please help. I want to reach my goal. Thank you.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you should eat back at least a portion - some people aim for 50-75%; others eat back a 100% (if you trust the calorie counts on the machines, I find them to be fairly accurate)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost any weight? Generally if it is less than 4 weeks you should just keep doing what you are doing and wait.
    If you have lost some weight you may need to adjust your calorie goal.
    With mfp you are supposed to eat some exercise calories. Some people just eat half.

If you have not been losing for some weeks it is a good idea to look at your logging to see if you could be more accurate. Are you weighing food? Choosing correct database entries? Using the recipe builder for homemade foods? Are your calorie burns overestimated?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    If you actually burned 1000 then eat 1000 but how are you estimating?
    You haven't given any clues as to what you are actually doing beyond cardio for an unspecified duration....

Personally would look to your food diary for the problem first - same percentage deviation is more significant on a bigger number.

Your diary is private to you.

You think you have plateaued?
    Details?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I am trying to reach my goal weight but i think i plateaued. MFP has me at 1870 calories a day to eat, however i burn 1000 calories between the cardio machines a hit for a good amount of time at the gym. Do i eat the whole 1000 calories back? Please help. I want to reach my goal. Thank you.

At 200 pounds, it would take me 120 minutes of moderate intensity machine work to burn 1000 calories, or I'd have to run for about 90 minutes. If you weigh less than 200 pounds, it would take you longer.

Regardless, 1000 calories is a ton for a workout.