Okay, I'm dumb - can someone help explain Protein Powders to me?

Options
13»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    if you are curious, here is a similar table for my most common food sources of protein..
    yw564f44lg81.png
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    added g Protein/100Cal column,.,
    pck85f1imev3.png
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I didn't read thru this whole thing, but PlantFusion makes the tastiest vegan powder, I've tried them all. For a casein/whey mix, which is optimal, try Quest or PEScience. Everything I mention is available in single-serve tester packets on Amazon.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    Why do you not want to touch raw meat? Is it concern about cooking it properly? Texture/feel?

You can, at least in the UK, buy things that are precooked, like meatballs, prawns and chicken. You can also get a lot of things canned. It's more expensive but it might help you out a bit. I really enjoy prawn omelette - here's a recipe with 39g of protein per serving and 386kcal :)
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1506635/prawn-and-broccoli-asian-omelette

Yes, both of those things! I find touching it extremely gross, I'm not a fan of the smell of meat cooking (especially beef), and I'm concerned I would mess up and poison myself lol. Pre-cooked meat usually has preservatives if I'm correct? My parents are also very concerned about meat from China because they think it isn't regulated well. But that does sound like a really good recipe! Thank you. Raw fish is not gross to me, so that might work out!

Check out the freezer section - plenty of precooked meat/fish available without preservatives :) Also, if raw fish isn't a problem for you that's an excellent source of protein!

You could try cooking frozen mince - you don't have to touch it, just pour it out of the bag. I tend to brown the onions, then throw in the mince and once that's brown all over add whatever I'm adding for the sauce and simmer for hours. Absolutely no chance of it being uncooked after that :) the smell isn't long lived - maybe put on the extractor fan? Plus it's about 10 minutes of meat browning smell for 4-6meals (I bulk it out with lentils 'cos I'm cheap!).

Thank you! I may see if I can do that. My parents buy meat special from a local butchershop and tend to eschew meat from grocery stores because it is "dangerous" or "low quality" or "from China" - I don't know if these claims are true, but I didn't consider it as a possibility just because it isn't to them.

I'd be more comfortable with the pre-cooked stuff just because I know I won't accidentally poison myself (I really don't know how to cook anything). And you're right, mixed with lentils it might create a really nice meal that hopefully won't get as monotonous. I had made a chick pea and rice dish, and a green lentil and rice dish, and tried to alternate weeks. But eating the same thing at lunch every day made me get very, very sick of it. I need to take more risks with variety.

Learning to cook is definitely a helpful skill - eventually you get to eat what you want for cheaper. Most packets here at least say where things come from. I wouldn't worry too much about the origin though - the reason any cases of dodgy stuff going on make the news is because they're rare. I know what you mean about your upbringing affecting things you think of - I have the same problem, but some things are just so much easier than the way my parents do it! Start with the pre cooked stuff and work your way up. Maybe get a friend who can cook to show you how things should look? A friend and I taught one of my housemates at uni to cook. You can definitely learn to do it safely, just one step at a time.

Just remembered, you can buy a meat thermometer - you just stick it into the middle of eg a chicken breast and if it's the right temperature you know it's done. I use one very occasionally because my oven was over zealously cleaned and has no temperature markings. I don't bother for just me, but if I'm roasting something big for kids or old folk I'll just double check to be safe.

One thing I do is freeze stuff in portions. Then I can alternate daily without having to cook every day.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ^ Note on the higher protein count for the Premier Protein - You could simply increase the serving size of most any brand of whey to match this. Looks like it has pretty similar macros to most brands, just a slightly higher serving size making it appear to have more protein per serving.

ETA- The majority of whey I've seen is usually around 25 protein for 120 calories.
    (Versus 30 protein for 160 calories)

Yes, I've been trying to make a chart that simplifies the fraction to out of 100cal. So far I have found:
    FitMiss Vanilla Chai 16/90 = 18/100
    BSN Syntha-6 Vanilla 22/200 = 11/100
    Muscle Milk Vanilla Creme 16/150 = 11/100
    Phase8 Vanilla 26/160 = 16/100
    Combat Chocolate Milk 25/130 = 19/100
    Vegan Protein+ 20/130 = 15/100
    Nestle Boost Whey 18/80 = 22/100

I definitely need to pull out the calculator to see the difference because my brain won't do it on its own lol.
    You're right, the Premier Protein is high, but not out of range. It's 18.5g/100cal which is about on par with the two MusclePharm ones, not quite at the Nestle one.

I have a simple old google sheet to calculate calories per gram of food when comparing two packages with non-standard serving sizes (love eating volume), but it can be used to calculate calories per gram of protein I guess. A lower value = better if you're looking for the highest grams of protein per 100 calories.

Here it is if you wish to to use it (feel free to edit the yellow fields as you wish, I only use it to get quick throw-away comparison numbers) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AzyLUkuRsoey4ZrQHOJvS5VN3imUpSdUc_fm-rboaYY/edit?usp=sharing

ETA: just tried Gold Standard (my current powder) and each gram of protein is costing me 5 calories. Not bad. I also entered the grams of protein from the image posted earlier and yeah, 160 calories is not too bad. Gold standard would have 150 calories per 30 grams of protein. Not that big of a difference. Entering 100 calories, my powder would have 20 grams of protein per 100 cal.

ETA again: you might find this helpful
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Thank you for the maths, my brain wasn't working enough to do that lol.
    I just wanted to point out that that particular brand wasn't really the unicorn it may have seemed at first glance. Not worth going out of your way or paying more money when it's actually very comparable macro-wise to most whey out there.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want to touch raw meat? Is it concern about cooking it properly? Texture/feel?

You can, at least in the UK, buy things that are precooked, like meatballs, prawns and chicken. You can also get a lot of things canned. It's more expensive but it might help you out a bit. I really enjoy prawn omelette - here's a recipe with 39g of protein per serving and 386kcal :)
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1506635/prawn-and-broccoli-asian-omelette

Yes, both of those things! I find touching it extremely gross, I'm not a fan of the smell of meat cooking (especially beef), and I'm concerned I would mess up and poison myself lol. Pre-cooked meat usually has preservatives if I'm correct? My parents are also very concerned about meat from China because they think it isn't regulated well. But that does sound like a really good recipe! Thank you. Raw fish is not gross to me, so that might work out!

Check out the freezer section - plenty of precooked meat/fish available without preservatives :) Also, if raw fish isn't a problem for you that's an excellent source of protein!

You could try cooking frozen mince - you don't have to touch it, just pour it out of the bag. I tend to brown the onions, then throw in the mince and once that's brown all over add whatever I'm adding for the sauce and simmer for hours. Absolutely no chance of it being uncooked after that :) the smell isn't long lived - maybe put on the extractor fan? Plus it's about 10 minutes of meat browning smell for 4-6meals (I bulk it out with lentils 'cos I'm cheap!).

Thank you! I may see if I can do that. My parents buy meat special from a local butchershop and tend to eschew meat from grocery stores because it is "dangerous" or "low quality" or "from China" - I don't know if these claims are true, but I didn't consider it as a possibility just because it isn't to them.

I'd be more comfortable with the pre-cooked stuff just because I know I won't accidentally poison myself (I really don't know how to cook anything). And you're right, mixed with lentils it might create a really nice meal that hopefully won't get as monotonous. I had made a chick pea and rice dish, and a green lentil and rice dish, and tried to alternate weeks. But eating the same thing at lunch every day made me get very, very sick of it. I need to take more risks with variety.

Learning to cook is definitely a helpful skill - eventually you get to eat what you want for cheaper. Most packets here at least say where things come from. I wouldn't worry too much about the origin though - the reason any cases of dodgy stuff going on make the news is because they're rare. I know what you mean about your upbringing affecting things you think of - I have the same problem, but some things are just so much easier than the way my parents do it! Start with the pre cooked stuff and work your way up. Maybe get a friend who can cook to show you how things should look? A friend and I taught one of my housemates at uni to cook. You can definitely learn to do it safely, just one step at a time.

Just remembered, you can buy a meat thermometer - you just stick it into the middle of eg a chicken breast and if it's the right temperature you know it's done. I use one very occasionally because my oven was over zealously cleaned and has no temperature markings. I don't bother for just me, but if I'm roasting something big for kids or old folk I'll just double check to be safe.

One thing I do is freeze stuff in portions. Then I can alternate daily without having to cook every day.

Thank you! Yes I also live with them so if I do anything differently I'll need to justify it and argue my case lol.

I can freeze about 6 portions of something but sadly no more because our freezer is tiny and we have 4 people sharing it. With loaves of bread and the compost garbage and the ice maker it gets very squishy. Hence the monotony. I can change it on a weekly basis though!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to understand why it is so hard for you to add protein to your diet. Pre-cooked chicken is getting easier to find and you can get it frequently in small quantities.
  • kiela64
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am beginning to understand why it is so hard for you to add protein to your diet. Pre-cooked chicken is getting easier to find and you can get it frequently in small quantities.

Thanks! Yeah there are a lot of weird obstacles I haven't quite wrapped my head around. None of this comes naturally to me. I wasn't active as a kid nor is healthy eating something I'm familiar with. It makes me feel really stupid XD I really appreciate everyone's help!
  • kiela64
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    added g Protein/100Cal column,.,
    pck85f1imev3.png

Thank you! This is pretty cool I'm going to save it :)
  • kiela64
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I didn't read thru this whole thing, but PlantFusion makes the tastiest vegan powder, I've tried them all. For a casein/whey mix, which is optimal, try Quest or PEScience. Everything I mention is available in single-serve tester packets on Amazon.

I did check on Amazon.ca but no :/ maybe it's an american only thing?
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Funny enough, I LOVE protein powder. I could eat it all day long; they only reason I don't is that I know it is an inferior protein source. That being said, trying to hit 200g protein per day isn't that easy...

When I really need to cram protein in, I'll throw 1 scoop 365-brand chocolate powder in with 2 scoops of Vega vanilla powder. Put in 1/4" of crushed ice, enough water for the right viscosity, and blend with immersion blender.

If I can have a "cheat shake", the whole game changes. 3 scoop 365 chocolate, 2 scoop vega, peanut butter, bananna, tbsp of greet yourgurt, cinnamon, milk, nutmeg. Delicious