Podcasts for the Gym

Options
Does anyone else listen to podcasts whilst they workout? Any recommendations? (It can be on any topic - doesn't have to be health/ fitness related!)

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I tend to start with NPR programs and then work from there...

Serial (season 1)
    Radiolab
    This American Life

All are available for free. Radiolab and TAL have massive back catalogs so they'll keep you busy for a while.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll give them a go :) I like to be distracted when I'm exercising!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I tend to start with NPR programs and then work from there...

Serial (season 1)
    Radiolab
    This American Life

All are available for free. Radiolab and TAL have massive back catalogs so they'll keep you busy for a while.

So...I actually had to edit which Radiolabs I listened to because I would start crying on my way to work and people were like WTF? (just me? okay lol)

I like all of those, plus Sawbones, Welcome to Nightvale, and a few others that are more hobby specific (I play Magic the Gathering so I listen to Limited Resources and Command Zone for any of my fellow geeks out there).
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sometimes This American Life gets too heavy for me, but there are some great eps. I download them all and then just hit skip if I get ten minutes in and it's stressing me out.
    I love 99 Percent Invisible and Freakonomics because they're good single-serve stories that are well told, often amusing, and always interesting (to me).

If you want a really crazy story told over 18 episodes, Crimetown was amazing (and mind-boggling). "Welcome to Providence, Rhode Island, where organized crime and corruption infected every aspect of public life."
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Sometimes This American Life gets too heavy for me, but there are some great eps. I download them all and then just hit skip if I get ten minutes in and it's stressing me out.
    I love 99 Percent Invisible and Freakonomics because they're good single-serve stories that are well told, often amusing, and always interesting (to me).

If you want a really crazy story told over 18 episodes, Crimetown was amazing (and mind-boggling). "Welcome to Providence, Rhode Island, where organized crime and corruption infected every aspect of public life."

I'm listening to Crimetown now. Only two episodes in so not quite yet vested but it definitely has promise.
  • burningheartss
    burningheartss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Serial is very good, and very interesting--but also made by the same people who make This American Life. If you're looking for something funny, My Brother My Brother and Me is also good!

I also really like Lore, Horizon Line and My Dad Wrote a P***o. They're all very different in tone, but sometimes you want variety! :-)
  • gorham04
    gorham04 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    "Last podcast on the left" . Those guys make me laugh so hard!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    the powercast, foresaken warrior podcast are both powerlifting focused.
    Runners world podcast for running.
    Joe Rogan because its sometimes insightful and funny
    various firearms related podcasts, we like shooting, this week in guns, and gunblog varietycast to name a few.
    tech based shows like this week in tech and daily tech news show.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm bingeing on "Sawbones" right now, and "Sword and Scale" is good if you're into true crime.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! That should keep me going!!
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Try to find ones that tell a story and only listen to them when you workout. I like Rabbits, The Black Tapes, and Tannis for that.
  • cchen2015
    cchen2015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Pod Save America and other Crooked Media pods seriously the only thing keeping me sane right now
  • fjmartini
    Options
    cchen2015 wrote: »
    Pod Save America and other Crooked Media pods seriously the only thing keeping me sane right now

Yeah they're a balanced echo chamber
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you've never listened to the FIRST 'Serial', do that before anything else. It's awesome.

I personally listen to a lot of True Crime podcasts, documentaries/narrative non-fiction type stuff.

-'Criminal' is well produced and not heavy at all; short listening times, almost always nothing too gory or messed up; often very clever, funny crimes.

-'Generation Why" goes into some darker subject matter, but it's produced in a way that takes the edge off.

-'Sword and Scale' is heavy. Not for the faint of heart. Long run times, very well researched, complete with interviews, and original recordings. I was a fan of the first few years of episodes, although there were a few that I could not stomach and had to turn off, and others where I feel he interjects his own opinions too much into the case. I would absolutely stay away from the more recent stuff. Read the description before you just randomly play an episode. Terrible things happen in this world.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    MilesAddie wrote: »
    If you've never listened to the FIRST 'Serial', do that before anything else. It's awesome.

I personally listen to a lot of True Crime podcasts, documentaries/narrative non-fiction type stuff.

-'Criminal' is well produced and not heavy at all; short listening times, almost always nothing too gory or messed up; often very clever, funny crimes.

-'Generation Why" goes into some darker subject matter, but it's produced in a way that takes the edge off.

-'Sword and Scale' is heavy. Not for the faint of heart. Long run times, very well researched, complete with interviews, and original recordings. I was a fan of the first few years of episodes, although there were a few that I could not stomach and had to turn off, and others where I feel he interjects his own opinions too much into the case. I would absolutely stay away from the more recent stuff. Read the description before you just randomly play an episode. Terrible things happen in this world.

I think those podcasts lean left.
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Love podcasts! Current favourites are: Foodstuff, Lore, The Moth, Radio Lab, Stuff You Missed in History Class & This American Life. Enjoyed the first Serial and S-Town when they came out too.

Think I'll try some of the ones mentioned above too, thanks :smile:
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The Intermittent Fasting Podcast and Fantasy Footballers at the moment
    The Alpha Female Podcast is really inspiring and Stuff You Missed in History Class is on my list
  • fjmartini
    Options
    The Alpha Female Podcast is really inspiring and Stuff You Missed in History Class is on my list

Do you play DFS?
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »

Do you play DFS?

I do not, just two leagues using the yahoo fantasy app!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    MilesAddie wrote: »

I think those podcasts lean left.

Point being..?