Damn it Garmin! Team Garmin, help, new releases coming

Options
So. Was all set to go and get the Forerunner 235 on Saturday, have been planning to for a few months just had to wait on having the pennies. Thought I'd do a quick final recce on the Garmin website just to make 100% sure I was sure having previously thought I might get the current Vivoactive (in built multisport because I don't actually run often but FR has apps and is nice looking).

Well what do you know, they're releasing a bunch of new models in the 4th quarter of the year. So very soon. And the new Vivoactive looks to be the perfect combination of both devices mentioned above.

Why Garmin why!? I was chomping at the bit. I currently have the first gen Vivoactive and while it still operates as it did on day one it was never the prettiest and Garmin have really been upping their aesthetic game.

So now I don't know what to do. You know when you know a new bit of kit will give a bit of extra I really wanna workout oomph? I was looking forward to that! And now I don't know if I should just wait a couple of months.

Thoughts other than first world problems?

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Damn it, indeed. I'm perfectly happy with my Forerunner 25, but ooh I could be tempted.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Well the vivoactive 3 is gonna do everything the FR 235 does.
    The 24x MIGHT get announced soon.
    If the 24x gets announced, the 235 is going to go on a massive discount.

HOWEVER, the 235 is still a great watch.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Exactly, it's the perfect mash up of the VA and FR. And quite pretty.

Having read and watched a few of the release thoughts I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait, I know I'll only feel regret if I don't even though I know I would be perfectly happy with the 235 but shiny new kit on release is my bag.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's almost like those darn companies know that we're suckers for new products!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    They just announced some new cycling gear as well, including a successor to the 1000. Bout time.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've got an FR220 and a vivosmart HR - had been thinking of replacing both with a Fenix but was put off by the cost, looks like the vivoactive 3 is just the ticket (especially now it's not square). NFC is a bonus too.

It looks like there's a lot of cross-over between the two so it may be worth looking into the differences eg do you still get all the running metrics with the vivo?

edit - looks like you won't get running cadence with the new vivo (maybe you would with an additional footpod), otherwise they look pretty much the same.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    _mr_b wrote: »
    I've got an FR220 and a vivosmart HR - had been thinking of replacing both with a Fenix but was put off by the cost, looks like the vivoactive 3 is just the ticket (especially now it's not square). NFC is a bonus too.

It looks like there's a lot of cross-over between the two so it may be worth looking into the differences eg do you still get all the running metrics with the vivo?

The running was never the seller for me, I run very rarely and might be rained off entirely once I see the physio in a couple of weeks. It was largely because the aesthetics are better than the Vivoactive 2 and I could just download apps for the stuff I needed.

Vivoactive 3 solves all of that. So I'm going to sit on my hands and wait for the 3.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The running was never the seller for me ............ So I'm going to sit on my hands and wait for the 3.

Excellent plan :smile:
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    They just announced some new cycling gear as well, including a successor to the 1000. Bout time.

+1
    Its been 3 generations!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Well pre-orders have gone live so I might have just pulled the trigger. £20 lower than the released price too.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Fenix 5X. Love it. I'm a swimmer. I hesitated for a long time due to cost.
    For some it is a bit large. For me it is perfect because I see the display while swimming without my glasses.
    Has other features I'll try when I go hiking.