Cheat days?

Options
Cheat days - do it, don't do it? What do you guys do? Why or why not?

(I've completed my first full month of healthy changes and ho'damn am I craving terrible terrible things... I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories a day and exercise till I get my net calories below 1000. It's been going really well weight wise - consistently eating healthy and am at a safe and stead rate of weight loss - so I'm terrified of fixing something that ain't broke by throwing in cheat days just to shut up those horrible cravings...)

Replies

• CodingChick
    CodingChick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it will work for you, but I do cheat bites rather than cheat meals or days AND if it does not taste as good as it once did (happens all of the time now) I spit it out. LOL!! I do not want to waste my calories on food that tastes bad especially if it is not good for me.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't do whole cheat days. But I am nicer to myself than I was the first time I did this. For example, I went shopping last Saturday. Shopping is a whole day affair, since I live 100 miles from civilization. My son wanted Red Robin. So we went to Red Robin. I had half a whiskey river bbq wrap and fries. I had Starbucks. I had a super greasy chicken sandwich for dinner. I ate a healthy snack that morning, and logged 15,000 steps that day, and most importantly, I didn't obsess over "cheating". Allow yourself the things you crave, in moderation. Log it, don't over-indulge, but don't beat yourself up over not eating "perfectly" every single day.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to do/think "cheat meal" but now I just incorporate what I want into my calorie allotment, and if I happen to go over my limit, I just do better the next day and don't stress over it. For me, moderation is key, as is not thinking of certain foods as "cheat" foods or meals.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're craving them if you're netting under 1000 calories.

I don't do any "cheats". If I want a food, I work it into my calorie goal as I can.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    What does netting calories even mean?
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheats. If I have to cheat myself then I feel I'm not doing something right and this won't work for me. I eat what I want as long as I have room for it and have met my other goals for the day.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calorie goal. I never restricted anything but calories. I never had problems with cravings because if I really wanted something I worked it in. I just had to decide if it was worth spending the calories.
  • mmblarg
    mmblarg Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest issue is McDonald cravings - which I'm pretty sure I just have to stop looking at is as even being a possibility. I eat things I like, their just healthier things I like haha. Never really had an issue with sweets so accounting for a desert or treat here or there isn't the issue. I just get hit with massive cravings to say "ah, f-it, I want a full McD's meal, fries and all." Usually right after my night classes when I'm most tired and probably stressed...
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    No wonder you're craving them if you're netting under 1000 calories.

That was my first thought.

Eat more and you wont crave. You can then fit your "cheats" in to your calorie intake that way they are no longer cheats and you don't feel guilty.