Rice cookers?

Options
Are rice cookers something that you have to spend a lot of money on or are they all pretty much created equal?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You can get by with a cheap unit but don't plan on it lasting more than a couple of years. Also, don't leave cheap units plugged in when unattended (some of them are really cheap).

The more expensive models will give you non-stick for the interior, slightly advanced functions, and be able to hold the rice warm longer without burning the bottom. I don't really care about the additional functionality, but the non-stick and ability to hold rice without burning it are really helpful.
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Personally, my rice cooker is one of my most important kitchen appliances. I generally don't go in for single-purpose devices, but the difference between a good rice cooker and a bad rice cooker is a lot of crunchy rice in the garbage. Or broken rice cookers in the garbage. Cheap ones tend to break easily, as has already been pointed out.

Of course, for your situation, it depends on how often you plan to use it, what you plan to do with it, etc. White and brown rice need to be cooked differently, so if you're planning to eat more brown you need a rice cooker that can handle that. Good rice cookers can also make rice porridge, cook oatmeal, and even be set on a timer so you can come home to fresh cooked rice. For me, it was worth it to get a good one.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Costco has nice rice cookers for a good price if you have one close by.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    IMO, the biggest thing is a non-stick surface which will cost a bit more...I had one without a non-stick surface once upon a time and it was just a waste with so much rice just sticking to the cooker...I hated that friggin' thing and used it about three times I think...
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I plan on using it weekly so I'll spend a bit more so it will last me
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap rice cooker on amazon.com, about $15.00 and I love it. It is just for me. I use it a few times a week to make oatmeal or rice. It is the Black & Decker 3 cup one. It's small enough to fit in my carry-on to travel with. I'm sure a more expensive one might be better, but in comparison to my making rice in a pot (terrible, sticks and I have to watch it and it uses my only pot) or oatmeal (pouring boiling water over it and it is never quite cooked) this is heaven! Perfect oatmeal and rice every time. The oatmeal cooks through and faster than my "old way" and the white rice is always perfect. But I haven't tried brown rice yet in it.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have an Aroma Rice Cooker, it was about $30. Apparently I've had it so long they don't make the model I have anymore. It has buttons for white rice, brown rice, steam and keep warm. I made steel cut oats (brown button for steel cut, white for rolled) in it this morning. Also make quinoa in it and of course, rice. They make a basic cheapy model for about $15 which I used for many years but I wanted non-stick and a brown rice function so I upgraded. There are models out there that cost $100+ that people swear by but for a few times a week a middle of the road one should suit you fine.
  • skouar11
    skouar11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    Are rice cookers something that you have to spend a lot of money on or are they all pretty much created equal?
    Don't buy a rice cooker instead invest in a pressure cooker I have cooked essential. You can make everything in one pot from rice to soups and stews and chilis I absolutely love it. Also you can make rice in 6min compare it to 20 min or more in the rice cooker.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    skouar11 wrote: »
    Don't buy a rice cooker instead invest in a pressure cooker I have cooked essential. You can make everything in one pot from rice to soups and stews and chilis I absolutely love it. Also you can make rice in 6min compare it to 20 min or more in the rice cooker.
    Meh. I have an Instant Pot that I love but I held onto my rice cooker. The Instant Pot just doesn't do a good enough job on rice IMO. I belong to a couple of groups and rice seems to be a consistent fail on a daily basis. Plus you're talking almost double the price vs a decent rice pot and we have no idea if the OP is into pressure cooking or not.

• Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    We have a Zojirushi. It does a lot more than cook brown/white rice. We love it, and it was the right choice for us. My only suggestion would be to read reviews (independent of the sellers site,) and do as much as much research as you have time to do. Good luck :)
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My rice cooker is a pan on the stove. I like Cal Rose rice. I boil 2 cups water. Add salt if desired. Put in 1 1/2 cups rice. Stir. Put on the lid. Turn stove to low. Cook 20 minutes. Turn off stove. Wait 10 minutes. Take lid off pan and rice is perfectly cooked.

Most rice is 2 cups water, 1 cup rice, same other steps. I'm a mediocre cook and I can't figure out how anyone could mess up rice, but it does seem to be one of those things that is difficult for some people and they need special tools to cook it. A Japanese friend once told me that Chinese rice cookers were the best.
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A Japanese friend once told me that Chinese rice cookers were the best.

Think you might have that backwards. Chinese people buy Japanese rice cookers like hot cakes.

https://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014/12/09/japanese-rice-cookers-a-hot-commodity-among-chinese/
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I had a cheap rice cooker for years. It's in my basement now. I use either my instant pot or gowise pressure cookers to make rice. I've never had a problem. I'm sure an expensive rice cooker might do a better job, but the electric pressure cooker does a better job than my cheap rice cooker did. Especially for brown rice.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options

That may be true, but a rice cooker will turn itself to warm to off. You have to watch a pressure cooker and remember to turn the heat off.

My biggest reason for buying a rice cooker was I would forget to turn the heat off when I cooked rice on the stove. Lots of burned pots.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »

That may be true, but a rice cooker will turn itself to warm to off. You have to watch a pressure cooker and remember to turn the heat off.

My biggest reason for buying a rice cooker was I would forget to turn the heat off when I cooked rice on the stove. Lots of burned pots.

Electric pressure cookers turn themselves to warm or off, depending on the cooker and what you tell it to do.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    RedSierra wrote: »

Electric pressure cookers turn themselves to warm or off, depending on the cooker and what you tell it to do.

I didn't know that -- thanks for posting.
  • rob0781
    rob0781 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap one from Walmart and it has a non stick surface but the bottom stick sticks abit. Works great otherwise it is one of those things once you get you wish you had all along, mine has a steamer as well so I throw rice or quinoa in the cooker and veggies and chicken up top and in 15-20 mins its ready without me having to watch it, usually dump it in a bowl mix in some salsa and its a tasty quick meal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My rice cooker is a saucepan with a lid. It works fine.

Oh, alright. If you must know. The water goes in, the flame goes high, the rice goes in, the eyes watch. When the water begins to bubble, the lid goes on, the flame goes low and the timer goes to 17 minutes.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used pan for years to cook rice with no trouble at all. Then we moved to a house with an electric stove (instead of gas). I don't know how many pots of rice I burned with that. I have since bought a cheap Japanese rice cooker and our rice adventures have been heaven. Part of that was me adjusting to electric stove, I am sure, but I can cook anything else on it, just not rice in a pan!