Long term dieting- want to increase cals

Options
So I am about at my goal weight and just looking to tone up a bit more. I have increased my calories from the rough 1400-1500 I have been eating for what feels like the last 4 years without noticing weight changes. I am worried I will gain weight by doing this but realistically know I should be eating 2000 calories a day to maintain. I am trying to eat about 1800 but am feeling so full all the time and am wondering if I will gain weight by increasing this much? I workout about 5x a week doing about 3 intense plyometric/ HIIT and weight sessions and 4 pilates sessions a week. Thoughts? I am 22, 5'8 and about 130 lbs.

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    How do you know you need to eat 2000 a day? is that your TDEE?

My TDEE is 1630-1800, depending on which website I use. I eat about 1650-1700 a day, and am on maintenance.

At 2000 I would gain, so every person is different. if you eat at your TDEE you will maintain, not gain... typically. Week to week fluctuations are going to happen though. Do you have a heart rate monitor so you know how much you are burning exactly? Then you'll know exactly how much to eat back to maintain.
  • angelbody2013
    Options
    My TDEE is actually 2200 on a lot of calculators
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    slowly increase your calories. up them by 100 this week, then another 100 next and so on
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    slowly increase your calories. up them by 100 this week, then another 100 next and so on

this is exactly what i was going to say :) instead of upping every week though I would probably spread it apart more (maybe every 2 weeks) so your body gets used to it slowly.
  • michellechawner
    Options

this is exactly what i was going to say :) instead of upping every week though I would probably spread it apart more (maybe every 2 weeks) so your body gets used to it slowly.

They are right - that's what I did when I was going into maintenance. Also eat full fat dairy, not low fat - that'll help get that calories up. You should be at 2200 in no time!