Too Much Sodium?

Options
I have been using My Fitness Pal for about 2 weeks now. The only thing I have trouble keeping in check is my sodium intake. I have stayed under on everything else except for protein occasionally. What kind of effect can going over on my sodium intake have on my weight loss?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No effect at all. Watch sodium if you have high blood pressure.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    In the body, water follows salt.
    This can lead to fluid retention (water weight).

Sodium consumption won't effect FAT loss though.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sodium is fine as long as you don't have a blood pressure issue.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't have any calories and won't effect your fat loss. If you eat more or less sodium than your body is used to, you may find yourself retaining fluid for a day or two. If you have a medical reason to eat a low sodium diet, you should do so. If you have a medical reason to eat a higher sodium diet, you should also do that. Otherwise, ignore the sodium for the most part. I do not do well with low sodium and it leads to an extremely fast heart rate and vertigo/dizziness that is alleviated by eating salt or drinking salt water.
  • ZAnders84
    ZAnders84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! That is the only thing I have trouble staying under and I wasn't sure if it would hurt my weight loss. This makes me feel better!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    There is some scientific evidence that high sodium reduced blood, and eventually bone calcium content, which could lead to early onset osteoporosis.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Agree with posters above..

I buy prepackaged chicken, fish, turkey at all times as I love them all. But they are all packaged with some type of sodium solution as a perservative. I plan what I eat the day before, and set the food in the package to thaw overnight. I check it a couple hours before I eat sometimes I need to put it in some warm water in the sink. Preparing I will thoroughly rinse and trim the fat. This cut down on the sodium levels and the fat. My registered dietician told me let it sit in a warm bowl of water for about 20 minutes as it will draw more sodium and perservatives out. Then one more rinse pat dry with paper towels and enjoy. I do not adjust the settings for the item on MFP as there is no way in the kitchen to know exact number reduction. I do not suffer from high blood pressure, but prior to doing this and my sodium intake being high I was retaining water. After doing this for a week without any other changes I dropped about 5 lbs of water or so.